Acropora Newbie. Alk burn, bleaching, or growing?

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tester coral 4 weeks ago. My tank is fairly new 6 months old. I'm not 100٪ sure what these tips are doing. There not pure white and they appear to be slightly opening.

There was branch towards the base that broke off when I cut the frag off the plug. It doesn't appear to be effective anything. The white area hasn't been getting worse but hasn't started to cover up yet. Thought I would mention this.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
20210105_204649.jpg

20210105_204630.jpg

Water parameters have been steady at
Temp 78
Salinity 1.026
Po4 0
PH 8.0
No2 0
No3 0
Mag 1500
Cal 500
DKH 8.4 - 9

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I see that the polyps are open, which is already a good sign. As a first sight, I don’t think there is much to worry about.

Just for curiosity:what is your light system?
Besides, regarding the white part in the base of the coral from the first picture... is that where the branch was broken?

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running kessil ap 700 currently. The 1st is showing where a piece broke off.
Hello,
I see that the polyps are open, which is already a good sign. As a first sight, I don’t think there is much to worry about.

Just for curiosity:what is your light system?
Besides, regarding the white part in the base of the coral from the first picture... is that where the branch was broken?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyps out, and only the very tips are white. Looks like growth tips to me which are usually white to begin with(bare skeleton(bone)). Then skin will form over the bone coloring up the white tip.

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was expecting the base to show signs of growth befor the tips. Like I said before I'm a newbie at growing sticks.

The piece that broke off is up higher in the tank and has better color to it. The tips is starting to do the same thing.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some SPS will "base out" before showing any vertical growth, while some will have a short burst of vertical growth, stall, "base out", then continue to grow vertically.

If the accidental "frag" is coloring up better higher in the tank, the "mother" frag might want to be moved up to higher par also.

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that but didn't want to break it off and move it. Thinking I would cause more damage than good. I'll have to consider it though.

Some SPS will "base out" before showing any vertical growth, while some will have a short burst of vertical growth, stall, "base out", then continue to grow vertically.

If the accidental "frag" is coloring up better higher in the tank, the "mother" frag might want to be moved up to higher par also.

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, the coral has been taken off. Lost alot of color but still growing. I'm at a loss for the change of color. Water parameters haven't change from above. I'm guessing it has something to do with trace elements. I have a few more test kits coming, Iodine, Iron , and potassium.
20210410_193838.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back