Acropora nutrition while Fallow?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dreading this in a major way, but velvet doesn't leave me much alternative but to go fallow in my SPS display.

I've been pretty successful with heavy in / heavy out fish poo as my sole nutrient source. How have you successfully kept your acropora during a fallow period?
Right side.JPG

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to worry, get some reef roids or other coral food and keep an eye on the NO3 and P and add those iff needed.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the dosing and watching numbers.......I use Polyp-Booster from PolypLab and either Reef Chili or Reef Roids. Just a small amount of both increases my phosphates like crazy in a 105G tank.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. Currently 30 days into a fallow period. So far, none of my corals have seemed to mind or suffer in any way. I've just been adding a little coral food or amino's every few days. I just rotate between AB+ and AcroPower, and then I will throw in a few pellets for the snails maybe once a week.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dreading this in a major way, but velvet doesn't leave me much alternative but to go fallow in my SPS display.

I've been pretty successful with heavy in / heavy out fish poo as my sole nutrient source. How have you successfully kept your acropora during a fallow period?
Right side.JPG
Im currently going through fallow again and its worse now that the tank is mature. I auto feed my tank pellets 4 times a day and frozen once a day aswell as dose nitrate and phosphates just to keep them stable LOL

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently going through fallow again and its worse now that the tank is mature. I auto feed my tank pellets 4 times a day and frozen once a day aswell as dose nitrate and phosphates just to keep them stable LOL
Wow I am kinda surprised, but maybe I shouldn't be. I recall your history with Dinos. I just haven't thought this through. Previous posts have been very casual about fallow feeding but your "keep feeding the same" philosophy makes some sense to me.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used easyreefs SPS evo and booster while fallow last year and worked wonders, just up the dose based on current nutrients (evo) along with some reef chili once a week only if needed

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I am kinda surprised, but maybe I shouldn't be. I recall your history with Dinos. I just haven't thought this through. Previous posts have been very casual about fallow feeding but your "keep feeding the same" philosophy makes some sense to me.
Yea i never understood how people fed less during fallow when infact should be more since you wont have fish producing constant waste that the bacteria and corals consume throughout the day.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't your nutrient import remain the same?
Does it really matter if it's fish, CUC, or bacteria "processing" the food you dump in?
Or, does the speed at which the food is broken down change, requiring an adjustment to nutrient import/export?

I have zero experience feeding fallow. Just asking questions...

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also consider hatching/feeding BBS as well while your tank runs fallow.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't your nutrient import remain the same?
Does it really matter if it's fish, CUC, or bacteria "processing" the food you dump in?
Or, does the speed at which the food is broken down change, requiring an adjustment to nutrient import/export?

I have zero experience feeding fallow. Just asking questions...
Well truth be told to all that followed this thread, I chickened out on fallow. I lost two established fish right at the beginning of the outbreak and the rest all eventually "recovered". Even my ich magnet Powder Blue pulled through, although he was demoted from tank boss by the Yellow tang.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back