Acropora Spawning?

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen acros spawn in a few tanks and I have always wondered if I will ever see it in mine. With the conditions we create in our little water box (my tank is a Waterbox, get it? Lol), how often do you think acro spawns occur in our home aquariums? Is it common, what do you think? I’m asking all the Acro keepers here!

I’ve never imagined I would see an Acro spawn in my tank. Last night, I guess conditions were right, so one felt comfortable enough to release some gametes. Whether common or not, this was just comforting knowing my tank is capable of such things.

29469E23-5E5B-413E-A7DA-90D52416D4A5.jpeg

geeked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were your conditions/parameters? Did you have a temp swing, run moon lights? I've watched some youtube videos with a marine biologist spawning some brown longhorn (I think) or stag acropora. She ran moon lighting, had slight temp swings at night and that's what caused them to spawn. I do mini experiments myself but I'm not sure I've had anything spawn but I don't have any colonies of acro just small frags.

OP
OP
shandoee

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@geeked Stable conditions, 9 dkh 440 Calc 1300 mag. Temp was 80 F last night. No moonlighting, nothing out of the ordinary. PH was 8.2. Not sure what happened but it sure seemed happy!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@geeked Stable conditions, 9 dkh 440 Calc 1300 mag. Temp was 80 F last night. No moonlighting, nothing out of the ordinary. PH was 8.2. Not sure what happened but it sure seemed happy!
Lovely, regardless. The colony doesn't look very healthy. The colony formation is weird and "broken". The coral is brown, which could be it's normal color though. This is not to flame the episode not to diminish the pleasure to read what happened. Congrats! Would be great if you could please post more pictures and give us more info on it. Was it grayish/brown because of the picture taken at night? Was it stressed? What are the lights/photoperiod of the system? Is it a new system? The rock does not have any coraline algae, that's why it looks like a new system to me. Is the colony under any stress? This is very interesting. You should consider yourself blessed. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
shandoee

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely, regardless. The colony doesn't look very healthy. The colony formation is weird and "broken". The coral is brown, which could be it's normal color though. This is not to flame the episode not to diminish the pleasure to read what happened. Congrats! Would be great if you could please post more pictures and give us more info on it. Was it grayish/brown because of the picture taken at night? Was it stressed? What are the lights/photoperiod of the system? Is it a new system? The rock does not have any coraline algae, that's why it looks like a new system to me. Is the colony under any stress? This is very interesting. You should consider yourself blessed. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah. 1am shot with a cellphone and regular flashlight. Formation is due to the way it’s mounted, the stalk has a 45 degree curvature and I mounted it straight. But, 1/2 way up it starts to curve. The colony was purchased about a month ago from a local reefer. Still a fairly new system. ~8 months since set up. But I guess I’m lucky?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back