Acropora/ SPS growth with No Dosing

Yeah, I think it depends on the size of the tank, amount and type of coral, and factors like ph and alk, that can dictate the need for trace element dosing. Maybe I am lucky, but I have never tested for trace elements, or intentionally dosed them to get a specific result. I have to dose 2 part (Seachem Reef Fusion) because of the alk draw of my sps tanks. I do 40% monthly water changes to help keep nitrate in range, not to replenish trace elements. But my main tank is only 75 gallons also. If the others are right, and my coral are suffering, I’d love to see them flourish.

IMG_8065.jpeg
To clarify, I am not advocating for people to rely solely on water changes. I just wanted to record that it is possible in some scenarios. There are many ways to successfully manage a reef tank. Too often I hear people disparage other methods than their own, without real reason or evidence.
 
Can I bother you for a quick layman's explanation of why this would be important for a reef aquarium?

Sure. The accumulation of sodium (from sodium bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide) and chloride (from calcium chloride) raises salinity. When you force maintain salinity, things like potassium and sulfate and everything else gets pushed down.

ESV and C-balance add these to one of the two parts to prevent that effect. Tropic Marin puts it in Balling Part C. Aquaforest has it in their mineral salt.

I discuss these issues in much more detail here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-a...-calcium-system-works-and-why-it-matters.958/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new