Acropora Tortuosa

lReef lKeeper

I'm an SPS-aholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora Tortuosa / Blue Tort

Acropora Tortuosa is a fairly demanding SPS (small polyp stony) coral, that is held in high regards amongst SPS keepers around the world. It is considered to be one of the more demanding of the SPS family of corals.

ATortuosa.jpg

Lighting Requirements : VERY HIGH

I personally do not believe that anything other than Metal Halide (maybe high wattage of T5) lighting will be of any help in keeping this extremely light demanding coral healthy in a home aquarium.

Flow requirements : MODERATE TO HIGH

I feel that flow is JUST AS IMPORTANT as lighting when it comes to keeping SPS corals healthy. With this particular coral (or ANY SPS coral for that matter) you want a strong, but indirect flow.

Water Parameters :EXCELLENT / STABLE

I believe that A. Tortuosa is one of the more senstive SPS corals when it comes to water quality. Calcium, Alk, and Mag. need to be stable and consistent with minimal Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia. If your tank cycle is over ... you should have 0's across the board on the last 4 to insure that this coral species is properly cared for.

Salinity 35 ppt
Calcium 380-450
Alk 2.5-4.5 m/l or 7-12 dkh
Mag 1250-1350
Phosphate <0.03 ppm*
Nitrates <1.0*

Care Level : Moderate to Difficult

mysterybox1.jpg

A friends A.Tortuosa with what is believed to be to much flow and higher than average Phosphates.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora Tortuosa / Blue Tort

Acropora Tortuosa is a fairly demanding SPS (small polyp stony) coral, that is held in high regards amongst SPS keepers around the world. It is considered to be one of the more demanding of the SPS family of corals.

ATortuosa.jpg

Lighting Requirements : VERY HIGH

I personally do not believe that anything other than Metal Halide (maybe high wattage of T5) lighting will be of any help in keeping this extremely light demanding coral healthy in a home aquarium.

Flow requirements : MODERATE TO HIGH

I feel that flow is JUST AS IMPORTANT as lighting when it comes to keeping SPS corals healthy. With this particular coral (or ANY SPS coral for that matter) you want a strong, but indirect flow.

Water Parameters :EXCELLENT / STABLE

I believe that A. Tortuosa is one of the more senstive SPS corals when it comes to water quality. Calcium, Alk, and Mag. need to be stable and consistent with minimal Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia. If your tank cycle is over ... you should have 0's across the board on the last 4 to insure that this coral species is properly cared for.

Salinity 35 ppt
Calcium 380-450
Alk 2.5-4.5 m/l or 7-12 dkh
Mag 1250-1350
Phosphate <0.03 ppm*
Nitrates <1.0*

Care Level : Moderate to Difficult

mysterybox1.jpg

A friends A.Tortuosa with what is believed to be to much flow and higher than average Phosphates.
H have a couple questions about miaggi tort. I just purchased a miaggi from vivid not long ago it hasn't shipped yet but should be arriving next week. What's the best way to care for this coral besides water quality. How does it do in lower light. I have a mixed reef so I'm not running super high par. I have lots of lps I have to care for as well. I feed my sps reef roids. And red sea ab reef energy. Can it be placed close to other sps corals.?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it fairly easy to grow. First pic is under halides in my 120.
I also grow it in my nano, frag system, and current 80g growout which all run leds.
Second pic is in my 20g nano cube thats almost 4 months old. It has encrusted and is growing well under 16hds.
It under the cardinal in the center.
20211213_155948.jpg

20220505_160330.jpg

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.. it does seem to grow fast. I'll be putting mine in my red sea reefer 250 running raidon xr15 g5 blues . I run the lps program at a high intensity . I don't like the ab plus program personally but I found some of echotechs other programs better. I just worry about the lower darker light in my tank with all my sps . But so far all my sps are doing well. I expect the miaggi tort to do the same. But that's the reason for this conversation. I was wondering what your opinion was with this coral in about 200- 250 par my alkalinity stays about 8.3 Calcium 450 magnesium 1400 nitrates 8.7 Phosphate 0.03 . It's a mixed reef so that's the reason for the lower par. I have to find a balance that will work for my acans and scollys and my acropora in the same tank do you think I will have problems with growth or coloration in the 200 par range?

Back