Acropora

DHReef2154

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have a question about acroporas and sps and im hoping someone can help me out.

So I have a 80g frag tank with 2 AI Hydra 32s and a coral cover hybrid light by aquatic life. There is also a gyre on pulse mode and a tunze streamline powerhead.

I have a mixed reef tank with softies, lps, and sps. All of my corals do look really good and healthy but I have a Walt Disney acro that looks healthy and its at the top of the tank with a lot of light and flow and the polyps dont seem to be as extended as they should be. I have a solar flare milli that has the same high light and high flow and its fully extended and happy. Im just wondering if the walt disney is in the wrong spot or does it need more flow, light, etc. Any suggestions or opinions on this would definietly help out a lot! Thank you!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People always seem to forget that polyp extension is not a natural behavior.

If Acros put out their polyps and get all hairy when the sun is out then butterflies and angels would devour them. Polyps come out to feed at night when the coral eating fish are sound asleep.

While some corals change this schedule in captivity, not all do. And some change this polyp extension in an attempt to survive.

The coral is starving and forced to feed during the day to get the nutrients it needs and is risking life, limb and polyp by feeding during the day.

A hairy acro isn't necessarily the sign of a happy acro or a healthy acro.

Go by how the coral appears to look and it's growth rates. Not by whether its shaggy or not.

Dave B

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora only NEED to use their polyps for gas exchange. While acropora can feed a bit, it is mostly through very small things assimilated in the slime coat - polyp eating is not efficient at best and not happening at worst. This is different than other types of corals and even some other SPS that can catch things and get nutrition from the polyps.

This is why you see acropora all hairy when they are in a box for a photo or in a shipping bag - they are struggling or need more gas exchange so the polyps are all out. The same thing happens at night when photosynthesis is low - gas exchange.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That spot where the box is thrown on the porch is amazing. I swear that Ace Ventura delivers every live box to every hobbyist.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The throwing of the box up on the porch had me laughing as hard as I have in a while. Yes, it is true that Ace Ventura delivers every one of our live packages.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back