Acros - Can I add more or wait?

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for 16 months. Tank is starting to look very mature with sponges, coraline, feather duster, etc., all over the place. I have spent the last few months really homing in on all my levels and getting my tank stable/consistent. My alk stays around 8, calcium 450, mag 1400, nitrates are around 10, and phosphates are around 0.10. Salinity I keep at 1.026 and temp at 77-78.

I bought my second Monti after losing one around month 6 when all my levels/nutrients were all over the place. I bought second one about 2 months ago and excited to see it has completely encrusted on to the rock and growing very well.

This past weekend I picked up 5 across from a local reefer that were his "fast growers" for a great price and said I should do well with them. I got the green slime free (dropped the frag and broke it so it is a little nub that is remounted on the plug), purple plasma, Tyree pinky the beer, tiger's blood, and OG Oregon tort.

I am now getting the Acro bug and want to put more in there. Due to how well the Monti is doing now, should I wait to see how these frags do or do you guys think it is okay to add more? I obviously won't add any that seem to be tough acros at this point.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out how to post a little clip of the acros I mounted as well as how the tank currently looks. For some reason I cannot embed the link cause the YouTube video is considered a short. Have no idea how to fix that.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d probably be fine adding more but I would personally wait a few weeks to see how the other do. Acros can be finicky and can go from fine one day to dead the next. It literally can become a white skeleton overnight.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d probably be fine adding more but I would personally wait a few weeks to see how the other do. Acros can be finicky and can go from fine one day to dead the next. It literally can become a white skeleton overnight.
Add a pavona, maybe a Birds Nest, wait a few weeks, try a blue Acropora Tenuis...very forgiving, great color

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, give it a month or so and see how they are doing first. I understand the acro buying bug VERY well, but it's pretty easy to burn through money for nothing if you rush it.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go slow like u have been. Test and see how the new additions adapt. Seriatopora stylophora and the branching montipora should do well. U will find some sps do well while others do not. Some stall while some grow. Just don’t chase the numbers for or panic over a frag. Good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back