Acros sliming after Reef Roids

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2016
Messages
1,081
Reaction score
872
Location
Long Beach
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I feed my acros Reef Roids they tend to slime up. A clear stringy substance is seen coming from the acros. It’s blown away soon after he pumps are turned back on.

Is this a defense mechanism or is this simply normal behavior when hand feeding fine particles to Acros?

Acros have good polyp extension, great color and growth.
90g tank with refugium + skimmer. No carbon or phosphate dosing
Ap 700 with 4 bulb ATI fixture
Salinity 1.026
Alk 8.5
Cal 430
Mag 1350
Temp 78
Nitrate ~0.5 I rarely test for this and phosphate as the cheato my refugium keeps these things in check.
 
Every time I feed my acros Reef Roids they tend to slime up. A clear stringy substance is seen coming from the acros. It’s blown away soon after he pumps are turned back on.

Is this a defense mechanism or is this simply normal behavior when hand feeding fine particles to Acros?

Acros have good polyp extension, great color and growth.
90g tank with refugium + skimmer. No carbon or phosphate dosing
Ap 700 with 4 bulb ATI fixture
Salinity 1.026
Alk 8.5
Cal 430
Mag 1350
Temp 78
Nitrate ~0.5 I rarely test for this and phosphate as the cheato my refugium keeps these things in check.
Mine do the same, always assumed it was a feeding response. #reefsquad anyone know?
 
Every time I feed my acros Reef Roids they tend to slime up. A clear stringy substance is seen coming from the acros. It’s blown away soon after he pumps are turned back on.

Is this a defense mechanism or is this simply normal behavior when hand feeding fine particles to Acros?

Acros have good polyp extension, great color and growth.
90g tank with refugium + skimmer. No carbon or phosphate dosing
Ap 700 with 4 bulb ATI fixture
Salinity 1.026
Alk 8.5
Cal 430
Mag 1350
Temp 78
Nitrate ~0.5 I rarely test for this and phosphate as the cheato my refugium keeps these things in check.
Keep doing what you are doing! ;Happy
 
Ok great! it’s reassuring to get confirmation. It’s just such a strange response as the slime never gets retracted by the polyp heads.


Thanks all
 
Ok great! it’s reassuring to get confirmation. It’s just such a strange response as the slime never gets retracted by the polyp heads.


Thanks all


My torches do this same thing. And never retract it back in. I keep water off for awhile hoping they will but nope. Eventually I turn water back on and the slimy stuff flys around until a fish eats it or it gets caught on another coral.
 
Thank god I came across - I fed my acros reefroids today and I was worried and just posted the thread I will link up
 
Thank god I came across - I fed my acros reefroids today and I was worried and just posted the thread I will link up
Same. I fed reef roids to acros in two tanks last eve for the first time. I was pretty freaked out by the amount of slime they put out. I figured it was a feeding responce but it's nice to have reassurance.
 
I direct-fed reed roids and my chalice trapped the food in excreted mucus and then gulped down the mucus + roids. All good as far as I know, it’s how many corals feed
IMG_9186.jpeg
 
Maybe the corals are shedding waste, making room for more nutrients.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new