Acros with polyps half open?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently I’ve noticed that a bunch of my polyps on my acros have their polyps half open. I’ve never seen this. Is this them reaching for more light? Any other ideas what it might be?

A couple pics for reference.

IMG_9915.jpeg IMG_9917.jpeg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That means they are not happy. First thing to do is check for pests. Flatworms, parasitic copepods/isopods, vermatid snails etc. The best way to find flatworms is with a flashlight a couple hours after the lights go off. Look for bite marks on the underside of the corals if it’s flatworms. Also look for any bugs crawling on the flesh. Any bug that is found on acropora flesh is a bad bug. Good bugs like amphipods and some copepods do not venture on to coral flesh.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That means they are not happy. First thing to do is check for pests. Flatworms, parasitic copepods/isopods, vermatid snails etc. The best way to find flatworms is with a flashlight a couple hours after the lights go off. Look for bite marks on the underside of the corals if it’s flatworms. Also look for any bugs crawling on the flesh. Any bug that is found on acropora flesh is a bad bug. Good bugs like amphipods and some copepods do not venture on to coral flesh.
I haven’t found any bugs and I haven’t had any new additions since the Millie. Any other ideas? I did swap my t5s out to a new one every week, so I wonder if that could be it?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

• I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back