Transferring corals with Blue Clove Polyps

sh12345

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
London
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a mixed reef plagued with blue clove polyps, and have recently setup a new (pest free) larger reef. I want to start transferring corals to this tank, though some corals (e.g. hammers and zoas) have BCP infestations. I have two ideas - dose fenbendazole into the current reef (having removed inverts) and hope that kills BCP so I can tranfer. Or, I setup a separate tank and dose fenbendazole there, and treat the affected corals for 3 days before confirming no BCP and adding to new tank. The latter is my preferred choice, though I worry if this’ll provide additional stress to corals. Anyone with any experience in this topic, I’d greatly appreciate any advise! Thanks
 
I had that blue clove problem once, I fragged every single coral and glued it to the new rockscape, and then nuked the clove rocks in bleach. I sacrificed a few zoa's as it was just easier to buy new frags and start again.
 
Fenben seems to work for many but not everyone trying to combat BSP (ie, they sometimes reappear later). If I was starting a new tank and wanted to transfer some coral over I would frag coral from the existing rockscape. If I wanted to reuse some of the rockscape I would nuke it first with bleach, muriatic acid, or water and then let the rock bake in the sun for a few weeks. I would not want to depend on fenben if I didn’t have to.
 
If you do go down the fenbendazole road, do a lot of research about the correct procedure.

Also note that leathers, gsp, gorgonians if left in during treatment will suffer and likely die as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new