Acrylic adhesive (smell!)

  • Thread starter Thread starter DmitryB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,212
Reaction score
932
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question: I got a ATO reservoir from Advanced Acrylics. Inside (when the lids are closed) it SMELLS pretty toxic, I assume it's the adhesive or maybe residual acrylic odor. If you open the lids the smell goes away. This isn't toxic to the RO/DI water in there, is it?

And any idea how long before this smell goes away on its own?
 
I've not noticed any smell on finished products I've purchased but I rinse mine inside and out with hot water before using so maybe they had an odor that I didn't notice before rinsing but I couldn't really say. I just like to rinse any plastic that is in contact with tank water before using it in case there are oils or other remains from manufacturing.
 
I did rinse it with tap water, but with a closed lid it's gnarly. I hope it fades away over time.
 
I would let it sit with the lid off, should lose the solvent smell in a week, or two depending on how thick the acrylic is. It's still curing if you can smell it.
 
I would let it sit with the lid off, should lose the solvent smell in a week, or two depending on how thick the acrylic is. It's still curing if you can smell it.
It was custom printed when I ordered. Is it safe for ATO RO/DI water while it's curing?
 
It was custom printed when I ordered. Is it safe for ATO RO/DI water while it's curing?
I'm not sure, custom printed is different than solvent welded acrylic?

I was thinking it was solvent weld, which gets stronger as it cures. Curing is the off gassing of the solvent, and if you can smell solvent then it is still curing. Full cure is supposed to be finished in 2 weeks (if I recall correctly) for most aquariums. The strength of the bond continues to increase until the curing is finished. Presuming that this box took a few days to ship to you, it should have arrived at 85% (of fully cured) strength or more, and is probably safe.

Custom Printed technology, that is different, I can't speak to that. Hope this is clear.
 
It's been way more than two weeks. I probably got it about 2 months ago. I should probably email them and ask.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new