Acrylic Help

chrishaire22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked for answers in existing threads but haven't found what I need. I need some advice on what to do with some acrylic I got for free. I was able to acquire about 3 sheets worth of acrylic. It had originally had the brown protective paper on it for many years and it wouldn't come off easily. The person I got it from used Goo Gone to loosen the paper and get it off. Now the acrylic is really hazy. I've done the whole sanding and polish procedure before to repair acrylic that is scratched. But what should I do to fix this since it's not scratched?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked for answers in existing threads but haven't found what I need. I need some advice on what to do with some acrylic I got for free. I was able to acquire about 3 sheets worth of acrylic. It had originally had the brown protective paper on it for many years and it wouldn't come off easily. The person I got it from used Goo Gone to loosen the paper and get it off. Now the acrylic is really hazy. I've done the whole sanding and polish procedure before to repair acrylic that is scratched. But what should I do to fix this since it's not scratched?

If it’s internal, there isn’t anything you can really do as the solvent damaged the acrylic.

If it’s on the surface, polish.

Unless it’s some 1/2” stock it’s probably not worthwhile fixing it. Would work fine for non-structural uses that don’t need to be clear.

OP
OP
C

chrishaire22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s internal, there isn’t anything you can really do as the solvent damaged the acrylic.

If it’s on the surface, polish.

Unless it’s some 1/2” stock it’s probably not worthwhile fixing it. Would work fine for non-structural uses that don’t need to be clear.
It's 11mm if I remember correctly. My big thing is that it was free and if I can put some time into getting it clear again (if possible), then I won't have anything but time in it instead of whatever acrylic costs now.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 11mm if I remember correctly. My big thing is that it was free and if I can put some time into getting it clear again (if possible), then I won't have anything but time in it instead of whatever acrylic costs now.

For something that large it’s gonna be rough. A lot of time and material. Because it was kerosene damage I don’t think this will work, but try testing a small area with flame polishing. If the wet time was very short you might be able to get away with it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back