Acrylic/mesh lid?

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made one themselves?
I have some 1/4" clear acrylic and was thinking about having it cut into 2" strips to make a frame and using silicone to attach some clear 1/4" mesh.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank?

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3'Lx2'Wx2'D 3/4" starphire glass . Was thinking i could make a 1'x2' screen and a 2'x2' screen since im making it a peninsula.
20170120_194725.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone does adhere well to acrylic.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Of course im not planning to cut mine in one piece. Ill have to glue some pieces together.

What are the dots?

If you don't cut one piece, you're going to run into warping issues.

The dots are clear screws I use to attach the netting.

91mini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the screen attached with just silicone? That is super clean!! For ease of build and cost I'm still a fan of BRS mesh and screen door framing. Looks nice and finishes clean. That is unless you can make an acrylic too this dang clean. Lol

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the screen attached with just silicone? That is super clean!! For ease of build and cost I'm still a fan of BRS mesh and screen door framing. Looks nice and finishes clean. That is unless you can make an acrylic too this dang clean. Lol

Thanks. I use small, clear screws to attach the nettingg.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ive got the alluminum screen tops on my other tanks. Id love to get a couple clearview lids but they are really expensive and shipping is nuts. So im trying to see if i can diy with acrylic.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ive got the alluminum screen tops on my other tanks. Id love to get a couple clearview lids but they are really expensive and shipping is nuts. So im trying to see if i can diy with acrylic.

Yeah unfortunately, a lot of retailers really pad the shipping price.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unfortunately, a lot of retailers really pad the shipping price.

Can you provide some close up shots of the seams and screws. I AM going to do this! I have a bow front and this is the solution. I also have a cnc router at work that can cut it in one piece for me. I already have solid acrylic tops for the tank so i would just need to cut the hole in them and attach the screen.

Where do you get the screws? Use washers as well to attach the screen?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you're asking me to give away my secrets!

There are no seams. I drill and tap each hole by hand. I don't drill all the way through, so it requires a special tap. look into polycarbonate as acrylic is more prone to warping due to moisture.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you're asking me to give away my secrets!

There are no seams. I drill and tap each hole by hand. I don't drill all the way through, so it requires a special tap. look into polycarbonate as acrylic is more prone to warping due to moisture.

are you serious about the secrets? Or can I ask more questions, lol?

Where does someone go to find small plastic screws and a tap for this application?
Did you use washers to hold the net?
From the picture it looks like there is another layer of acrylic on the back? Or what is it?

I love it man, it's so nice and clean looking.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He's mostly kidding, he runs an acrylic fabrication business and makes a lot of screen tops. I'm sure he'll be back through at some point to answer your questions.

Check a plastic vendor that sells acrylic, they should have them. I'd imagine regular taps will work. Not sure if you need to adjust the drill size though.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where does someone go to find small plastic screws and a tap for this application?
Did you use washers to hold the net?
From the picture it looks like there is another layer of acrylic on the back? Or what is it?

I love it man, it's so nice and clean looking.

I purchase my screws from a supplier overseas. you can probably find them on eBay or Amazon. same for a tap.

I do not use washers, just the tiny screws.

It's a single piece of material, there is no second layer.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping I can tag along, as I'm trying to do the same thing on my 60"x18" tank. How can I get normal person who's not familiar with acrylic fabrication make something similar?

Are multiple pieces really gouge to warp if I use say 3/8" thick acrylic? I need to make something that juts around my pipes, but wouldn't a large piece to cut it out of be prohibitively expensive? How would you cut the inside, with a jig saw?

Let me know if I should start my own thread, but I'm basically trying to accomplish the same thing!

Can you not use a regular tap and die set? I get the plastic screws, but as long as the threads match I already have a good set. IMG_20170126_215042.jpg

Back