Acrylic plumbing question

Alex Bonanno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope someone can offer some advice here. I purchased an acrylic frag tank that already had one 1" drain hole drilled. I want to drill a second hole for an emergency drain. Initially I was going to drill another 1" hole but noticed that the holes would be very close together. The two bulkheads would pretty much be touching. Is this dangerous for acrylic? Should I drill a 3/4" or 1/2" emergency drain instead? The return is 1/2".
IMG_6738.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick is to have enough room to spin the nut down tight on the bulkhead fitting and avoid interference between the two flanges on the fittings.

Working inside the box can be a challenge so having the nuts out, (LOL) can help with threading and tightening the fitting so it doesn't leak.

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to run a siphon drain?

If so I would drill the top back, I ran a 150 this way for years. Standpipe with a strainer about 18" tall (24" tank) directly above that the emergency bulkhead with a 90 and a piece of pipe cut to length to adjust the exact emergency height. I tested it for days in garage before moving in, worked flawless in any emergency situation..

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If so I would drill the top back, I ran a 150 this way for years. Standpipe with a strainer about 18" tall (24" tank) directly above that the emergency bulkhead with a 90 and a piece of pipe cut to length to adjust the exact emergency height. I tested it for days in garage before moving in, worked flawless in any emergency situation..
"Top back" of the tank.? or the overflow box? Just for clarification, and because this is an interesting idea. :cool:

OP
OP
Alex Bonanno

Alex Bonanno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi thank you for the advice. I'm confused about what you mean by drilling the top back?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back