Acrylic Safe Magnet Cleaner

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a recommendation for a magnetic algae scrapper that is safe for a 1/2in thick acrylic tank. I was going to use the Tunze but I saw the warning that they could scuff acrylic.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of brand…Get an acrylic magnet sleeve from Champion Lighting.
Designed to trap sand particles and keep them from scratching the tank.
Been using them for probably 20 years,.. a necessity!

I have always used Mag Floats

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of brand…Get an acrylic magnet sleeve from Champion Lighting.
Designed to trap sand particles and keep them from scratching the tank.
Been using them for probably 20 years,.. a necessity!

I have always used Mag Floats
Found this of interest but when I checked it out on the website, I don’t see how it protects you from scratching the acrylic. If you get sand caught between it and the acrylic won’t the acrylic still get scratched?

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this of interest but when I checked it out on the website, I don’t see how it protects you from scratching the acrylic. If you get sand caught between it and the acrylic won’t the acrylic still get scratched?

No… the sleeve is a mesh that doesn’t hold the grain of sand between it and the acrylic pane. Of course, it is best to avoid the sand bed, but in most cases any possible scratches will be avoided.
I have had acrylic tanks for many years and some of my secrets to success are the magnet sleeve and also NEVER leaving the magnet within reach of any visitors/children that want to ‘help you’ by running the magnet all over the front pane.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No… the sleeve is a mesh that doesn’t hold the grain of sand between it and the acrylic pane. Of course, it is best to avoid the sand bed, but in most cases any possible scratches will be avoided.
I have had acrylic tanks for many years and some of my secrets to success are the magnet sleeve and also NEVER leaving the magnet within reach of any visitors/children that want to ‘help you’ by running the magnet all over the front pane.
OK, nothing like first hand experience to determine if a product works or not. I’ll pick up several. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use mighty magnets.
The way to go.

Back