acrylic source for baffles

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on good source for ordering either cut to order or uncut sheets. I had a website I found here but cant recall it now.

I am looking to convert a 75 gallon aqueon to a sump.

Thanks

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, i would recommend glass ,acrylic to glass will eventually give at seams, and glass prob 1/2 the price ATM.. :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hah, how hard is the glass to cut on these aqueon tanks?
not sure what you mean,cut tank??? thought wanted to install baffles?

OP
OP
V

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what you mean,cut tank??? thought wanted to install baffles?
Oh, I thought your 1/2 off comment was in reference to petco tanks. I have read here that people buy the small ones for glass to get the material for baffles.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
gotcha,no local glass shop,leave 1/8" clearance on side to install,total ,will be 1/16" each side once in.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d shop around at your local glass shops. You could even have them use scraps, recycling glass, since a few minor scratches won’t matter. To get the dimension, I’d cut a piece of plywood close to the thickness of the glass you are going to use. I had a piece cut slightly too big, not thinking, I’d have to turn it and the corner to corner dimension wouldn’t make it. BTW My custom top was right in line with what a store bought top would have cost. Don’t forget to have them smooth the edges. Not only will it prevent you from getting cut, it prevents a place for a stress crack to start.

OP
OP
V

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d shop around at your local glass shops. You could even have them use scraps, recycling glass, since a few minor scratches won’t matter. To get the dimension, I’d cut a piece of plywood close to the thickness of the glass you are going to use. I had a piece cut slightly too big, not thinking, I’d have to turn it and the corner to corner dimension wouldn’t make it. BTW My custom top was right in line with what a store bought top would have cost. Don’t forget to have them smooth the edges. Not only will it prevent you from getting cut, it prevents a place for a stress crack to start.
Thank you. Very helpful.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go, I hope this helps. The Seller has many different kits.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acrylic/plexiglass baffles are fine. Lots of people do it and allot of places sell kits.
Baffles are not a tank or the exterior of a sump that needs to hold water which can be allot of force.
I used a kit from Fiji Cube to do my last sump plus a few baffles I did myself.
I recently redid my baffles and they held so well I had to cut them out to make the changes. They would have broke before the glue let loose.
Glass on glass certainly is going to bond better but unless they need to hold water acrylic is fine.

This is the baffle system I used:

You can easily make your own too.

Here is my sump with thier baffles: It has been changed since this picture though.
1618839651861.png

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer glass baffles for my glass sumps as well. I've been doing business with a local shop for 30+ years now. Great prices, fast service. I wouldn't use anything thinner than 1/4".

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 12" ceramic tile from Home Depot / Lowe's to build sumps from 29 gallon petco specials for my 125 and 90 gallon tankss. $.99 each or cheaper. Works perfectly. I dindn't even have to cut them. (They are actually just a little less than 12" to leave room for the grout lines and still be 12" effective).

Silicone in place, leaves enough room at the top of the sump to hold overflow in a power outage. So, I used 5 tiles and 1 tank and 1 tube of silicone for a total of $40.

AJTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 12" ceramic tile from Home Depot / Lowe's to build sumps from 29 gallon petco specials for my 125 and 90 gallon tankss. $.99 each or cheaper. Works perfectly. I dindn't even have to cut them. (They are actually just a little less than 12" to leave room for the grout lines and still be 12" effective).

Silicone in place, leaves enough room at the top of the sump to hold overflow in a power outage. So, I used 5 tiles and 1 tank and 1 tube of silicone for a total of $40.
This is a great idea... Never thought of it. I always look for dark glass for baffles around my fuge area to prevent light spills...I will now start looking for black tiles... Thanks a lot!!

Back