Acrylic tank fix...

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first tank I received in my build was broken and useless. But I still have it...

But I got to thinking (which is usually bad) the tank is only broken in the rear. The front half is fine.
There's like half a tank that I could use if I could fix this for a cryptic zone tank plumbed into my display.

SO...doo dee doo....what if I were to insert a new back into the middle of the tank that precisely fit, shoot that bugger with weld-on and then route the back part of the tank off it?

Anyone think this is possible? This is 3/4" thick stuff, so there is a lot of bonding surface. tank is 24" front to back. If I could keep a foot I'd be happy. It would make a very interesting tank for my purpose.
I don't want to use it for a display so it doesnt have to be perfectly photogenic. It would be utilitarian in nature.
But it does have all nice polished and bullnosed edges on it and would still look great.

Anyone have any ideas that would be a better approach?

You can see the bottom right corner and the back panel is cracked. The front of the tank is perfect.
They must have nailed it on the overflow box out back.

I live in michigan...anyone want to help attempt it? I'd be glad to make it worthwhile...
Just drop a new back panel a few inches in front of the existing one, glue it and mill/route the back off.

I can't throw it away...something tells me I would be dumb for doing that.

Eh???? :zany-face:

1699730379946.png

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘weld’ the new panel to the inside of the broken back panel and seal it all up. No need to remove the back panel as no one will see it.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘weld’ the new panel to the inside of the broken back panel and seal it all up. No need to remove the back panel as no one will see it.
Yeah, but look at the lower right rear corner. It's shattered too down into the side and through part of the floor.
I have to basically drop a "divider" about 4 inches or so from the original back, but would rather do it about 12 inches for the kind of tank it would be.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a few more pics of the damage if you can
Here's the lower rear right corner. The crack goes from the left return hole which you can see in the original pic, diagonally all the way down to the floor, runs through the rear floor seam, then cuts across the corner into a diagonal crack up the side as shown in this picture.

What I want to do is drop a new black acrylic panel right in between the right and left panel a few inches in front of all this breakage (it's rimless), weld it, and then route off the scrap, thus shortening the overall front to rear dimensions of the tank.

1699746877398.png

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, didn’t really ‘study’ the pic… if you really want to reduce the depth (front to back) you have a lot of work to do, and personally I’d never trust the repair, unless done by an actual tank builder. If it doesn’t matter what it looks like, I’d just weld on thin acrylic sheets, possibly on both inside and outside, top and bottom of cracks.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to work for an acrylic tank manufacturer and I’d be skeptical about doing what you want to do. The issue is there could be other areas on the verge of cracking that aren’t visible. That being said it could very well work out. I’d just do a lengthy water test outside to make me feel better about putting it inside my home.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could use a table saw and set the stop for it so you could cut away the broken area.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hire an acrylic builder to come onsite and repair it. Can’t cost that much and you will have a very cheap new tank that will last.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back