acrylic tank not touching stand in middle

  • Thread starter Thread starter Iafrate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
72
Reaction score
30
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two months after setting up my tank I noticed that part of my tank is not touching the stand. is there anything I can do to fix it without completely breaking it down or do I just hope for the best? could i possible spray some spray foam under it?
 
two months after setting up my tank I noticed that part of my tank is not touching the stand. is there anything I can do to fix it without completely breaking it down or do I just hope for the best? could i possible spray some spray foam under it?
Pics would help
 

Attachments

  • 95F8141F-B377-4A33-87C7-2D11BEA6E412.jpeg
    95F8141F-B377-4A33-87C7-2D11BEA6E412.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 206
Not much of a gap. Wouldn’t worry about it. Over time, it may settle and even out.
 
Not much of a gap. Wouldn’t worry about it. Over time, it may settle and even out.
The gap itself isn’t big but it spans almost 4 of the 6 foot tank.
 
The corners of a stand carry the majority of the weight so not concerned. Also, can u see daylight under the gap? Could be the tank is resting on the inner portion of the stand.
 
The corners of a stand carry the majority of the weight so not concerned. Also, can u see daylight under the gap? Could be the tank is resting on the inner portion of the stand.
After trying to slide a standard printer paper under the tank it goes as far in leaving only roughly 2 inches sticking out. So i’m assuming the middle and all four corners are touching the stand?
 
Gaps are generally not acceptable but this seems safe
In the future when placing a tank on a stand, place 1” styrofoam down first which acts as a leveling mat
 
Gaps are generally not acceptable but this seems safe
In the future when placing a tank on a stand, place 1” styrofoam down first which acts as a leveling mat
I originally planned but after taking multiple levels to it I thought I didn’t need it and I didn’t notice until it was this late
 
thats wood for ya, it rarely is perfectly level/straight :(

hmm yeah that would suck then. I dont think spraying foam under it would really do anything, its more of a insulator than a load bearing solution
 
After trying to slide a standard printer paper under the tank it goes as far in leaving only roughly 2 inches sticking out. So i’m assuming the middle and all four corners are touching the stand?
As long as you’re confident in the strength/stability of the stand I wouldn’t sweat it. If it keeps you up at night, buy some composite shims and shim the gap.
 
thats wood for ya, it rarely is perfectly level/straight :(

hmm yeah that would suck then. I dont think spraying foam under it would really do anything, its more of a insulator than a load bearing solution
So am I at a hope for the best kind of situation?
 
As long as you’re confident in the strength/stability of the stand I wouldn’t sweat it. If it keeps you up at night, buy some composite shims and shim the gap.
I feel confident with the stand I use two by sixes to build it
 
like the others said you will probably be fine it looks pretty minimal. And its much better that its an acrylic tank vs glass.

If you start to notice some stress issues at the seams or corners though, I would deff make a game plan to drain/level/refill it...
 
I feel confident with the stand I use two by sixes to build it
That’s plenty strong. As I said, the corners are really what’s supporting the tank.
 
Thank you everyone for the quick replies I feel a little better but also dumb because I knew I should’ve put some foam down before
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new