acrylic tank not touching stand in middle

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two months after setting up my tank I noticed that part of my tank is not touching the stand. is there anything I can do to fix it without completely breaking it down or do I just hope for the best? could i possible spray some spray foam under it?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two months after setting up my tank I noticed that part of my tank is not touching the stand. is there anything I can do to fix it without completely breaking it down or do I just hope for the best? could i possible spray some spray foam under it?
Pics would help

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 95F8141F-B377-4A33-87C7-2D11BEA6E412.jpeg
    95F8141F-B377-4A33-87C7-2D11BEA6E412.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 115

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corners of a stand carry the majority of the weight so not concerned. Also, can u see daylight under the gap? Could be the tank is resting on the inner portion of the stand.

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corners of a stand carry the majority of the weight so not concerned. Also, can u see daylight under the gap? Could be the tank is resting on the inner portion of the stand.
After trying to slide a standard printer paper under the tank it goes as far in leaving only roughly 2 inches sticking out. So i’m assuming the middle and all four corners are touching the stand?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its that large a bow it could be causing stress on the tank, but it is better that its acrylic than being glass. Still if it were me, I would drain the water out of the tank into a temporary holding vessel, put a thick neoprene pad under it and then add the water back

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Gaps are generally not acceptable but this seems safe
In the future when placing a tank on a stand, place 1” styrofoam down first which acts as a leveling mat

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gaps are generally not acceptable but this seems safe
In the future when placing a tank on a stand, place 1” styrofoam down first which acts as a leveling mat
I originally planned but after taking multiple levels to it I thought I didn’t need it and I didn’t notice until it was this late

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats wood for ya, it rarely is perfectly level/straight :(

hmm yeah that would suck then. I dont think spraying foam under it would really do anything, its more of a insulator than a load bearing solution

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying to slide a standard printer paper under the tank it goes as far in leaving only roughly 2 inches sticking out. So i’m assuming the middle and all four corners are touching the stand?
As long as you’re confident in the strength/stability of the stand I wouldn’t sweat it. If it keeps you up at night, buy some composite shims and shim the gap.

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats wood for ya, it rarely is perfectly level/straight :(

hmm yeah that would suck then. I dont think spraying foam under it would really do anything, its more of a insulator than a load bearing solution
So am I at a hope for the best kind of situation?

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you’re confident in the strength/stability of the stand I wouldn’t sweat it. If it keeps you up at night, buy some composite shims and shim the gap.
I feel confident with the stand I use two by sixes to build it

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like the others said you will probably be fine it looks pretty minimal. And its much better that its an acrylic tank vs glass.

If you start to notice some stress issues at the seams or corners though, I would deff make a game plan to drain/level/refill it...

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the quick replies I feel a little better but also dumb because I knew I should’ve put some foam down before

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back