Is My Acrylic Tank Saveable?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cryingrn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I do have a newish unopened can of weld-on 40 from when I made my 45gal acrylic aquarium a few months ago. Do you mean if I squeezed some into the gap on the front of the tank, it has the chance to "fill" it? I have some experience working with acrylic already, just not repairing. Since I already have the tank and materials, Im willing to give it a shot with an extensive fill test *outside* if nothing else except for practice
If you get some acrylic blocks cut like 1/2”x1/2” the entire length of the seam and cast them in there with Weldon 40 it would hold but wouldn’t be pretty lol. Don’t squirt and solvent in there it will just weaken the joint.
 
If you get some acrylic blocks cut like 1/2”x1/2” the entire length of the seam and cast them in there with Weldon 40 it would hold but wouldn’t be pretty lol. Don’t squirt and solvent in there it will just weaken the joint.
Right now what Ive got is 1" acrylic triangle rods and Im in the process of encasing the seams in weld-on 40. It's not pretty, but the manufacturer says it can withstand 4,000psi at room temperature after a week so they'll be pretty sturdy.

I wasnt going to squirt any solvent in the joint, but I was considering applying some of the weld-on 40 in the gap since it's more of an epoxy and not a solvent (to help fill in the gap). You would refrain from that?
 
Right now what Ive got is 1" acrylic triangle rods and Im in the process of encasing the seams in weld-on 40. It's not pretty, but the manufacturer says it can withstand 4,000psi at room temperature after a week so they'll be pretty sturdy.

I wasnt going to squirt any solvent in the joint, but I was considering applying some of the weld-on 40 in the gap since it's more of an epoxy and not a solvent (to help fill in the gap). You would refrain from that?
Sounds like a great plan! It will hold just fine. It’s not pretty but hey.. lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new