Acrylic tank refurb questions

RedSeareefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2023
Messages
31
Reaction score
3
Location
Israel
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I was offered a 464 litre (about 125 gallons) acrylic cube tank (75*75*90 lwh [in cm]) for free, (tank is on its side in the photo).
20230830_174043.jpg
The tank is of course scratched, although the scratches are not deep and I think could be removed with some elbow grease. 20230830_174433.jpg
20230830_174057.jpg That of course then isn't my concern, my concern is that it's been sitting empty outside (under a roof with good shading ,in a moderate climate [between 43f and 90f] mind you,) for 5 years and also has bubbles in the seams. To the best of my understanding these bubbles are just a sign of sloppy construction and don't pose any structural issue and acrylic tanks can last for a very long time as long as they arent treated  too poorly, also consider that alot of places in the US get much higher and lower temperatures than here so I don't think it is in as bad of a condition material wise as a similar tank left outside in the shade for 5 years in other parts of the world. So should I use it? Or is it a complete goner with no chance of ever being used again?
20230830_174359.jpg
20230830_174408.jpg
 
I worked for an acrylic tank manufacturer for several years and that seam is garbage. That doesn’t necessarily mean the tank isn’t sea worthy but I would find a safe level space to fill it with water and let it sit for a few weeks just to see if it holds.
 
I refurbished a 300g acrylic tank years ago lots of work. Looked great when I was done 3 different grits of sand paper and the first two steps of novice polish compound. Fortunately for me the seams looked good. I did have a sump that the seams looked bad on. I think I used weld on 16 to reinforce the seams.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new