Acrylic Tank with some cracking. Should I be worried?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this 60 gallon tank used and am in the process of setting it up I'm like 90% sure it wasn't there when I bought it but I now notice some cracking in one of the corners. Should I be concerned? Does this mean it's going to fail there? Or is it just an aesthetic issue?

IBz2V7X.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is called "crazing". Micro fractures. I personally wouldn't like it and is a indication of stress in that area. Could have been from the tank not being level before. It may never get worse, but still unsettling to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazing is ok. This is what you want to watch out for and the reason I had to change tanks. Indications here of seam seperation from improperly cured or overly stressed joints
IMG_7517.JPG
IMG_7516.JPG

Yes, that why I said it may never get worse. Seam separation is time to replace the tank ASAP!

Level the tank on its stand, test fill it and see if it gets worse. If not, run it and just keep an eye on it.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also note that acrylic tanks require a complete solid bottom under them. Not just the perimeter like in a glass tank. Usually a piece of plywood as acrylic will bow a bit from the water pressure.
I have seen crazing like this (or much worse) on tanks that didn't have a solid platform to sit on

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. This tank however does have a stand that it came with. Seems true, but I could check. I have a roll of neoprene, should I lay out a strip of it underneath the tank? I remember seeing them do that in a BRS video but I think that was a glass tank.

Also, I believe this happened from doing a test fill. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed that while looking it over to buy or at least while cleaning it. So I think it must have happened after. I suppose I'll fill it again and see what happens.

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is called "crazing". Micro fractures. I personally wouldn't like it and is a indication of stress in that area. Could have been from the tank not being level before. It may never get worse, but still unsettling to see.

+1 - I've had an acrylic tank randomly crack and unleash 15g of saltwater onto my kitchen wood floors, so I personally wouldn't risk something with a defect you already see.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I decided it's not worth the risk for me. But good news is I found a 135gal for $200, comes with stand/canopy and a sump! But now what the heck do I do with this bh-1000 HOB skimmer? I suppose I will use it for now even though I'll have a sump. Oh and now I need more rock lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back