Acrylic thickness Help

TwelveL16

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
703
Location
indiana
Rating - 100%
2   0   1
Ok guys I need some help here, I found an aquarium made by Midwest custom Aquariums a pretty reputable builder. Its a 480g, 96 X 34 x 34 It was made with no overflows and made for 360 degree viewing, When It came out it had a bubble in the acrylic so the customer didn't want it because the 360 degree viewing, Midwest put it up for sale for 3800, I thought it was a decent deal, So I called on it and said I would take it, Its brand new and warranted as such, he said he would also paint bubble side black and add overflows for no charge.

Heres my issue, come to find out Its 1 inch acrylic on the sides front and back and 3/4 on top and bottom. Everything I have read says 1 1/4 inch minimum on a tank 34 inches high... Can anyone confirm or does anyone have a comparable tank. Seeing how it was built with no overflows leads me to believe it was built for a reptile.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
 
No one would get 1" for a reptile As that's to costly and way overbuilt. I wouldn't be concerned as 1" is adequate for that size of tank. Many 6' tanks are 1/2" thick and are just fine.
 
No one would get 1" for a reptile As that's to costly and way overbuilt. I wouldn't be concerned as 1" is adequate for that size of tank. Many 6' tanks are 1/2" thick and are just fine.
Even tho that online calculator says 1 1/4 ???

Just scares me going in my brand new house.
 
I checked with a reefer buddy that has a 600g acrylic display, his tank is 96-48-30 so not quite as tall as yours. It's made of 3/4" acrylic and has been running just fine for a few years now. I also knew a guy that ran a 1000g acrylic tank for yrs that was 1" thick. I think your going to be just fine, so relax and enjoy your new tank and new house :)
 
I checked with a reefer buddy that has a 600g acrylic display, his tank is 96-48-30 so not quite as tall as yours. It's made of 3/4" acrylic and has been running just fine for a few years now. I also knew a guy that ran a 1000g acrylic tank for yrs that was 1" thick. I think your going to be just fine, so relax and enjoy your new tank and new house :)
Alright thanks man, appreciate u checking around for me
 
I have a 300 (72x30x36) and it is 3/4 acrylic. I have had 0 issues with it. Not even a bit of bowing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new