Activated charcoal effectiveness and longevity experiment

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on Facebook for my local reefing group, but I thought that it was interesting enough to share here.

I recently restarted a reef tank about 7 months ago, and have been reading up on various articles on reefkeeping to try to improve my success rate with keeping fish/corals/etc as well as my knowledge base. One topic that I didn't feel that I had a good handle on was activated charcoal for removing "organics" - how much to use, how often do you change it, and is there a way to determine organic levels in my tank specifically without too much fuss. The only article I found up until very recently was from Advanced Aquarist's 2 part article (part 2: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature1), which still left me with questions as to how to apply those findings to my tank.

I then found Bulk Reef Supply's videos, with 1 in particular catching my interest - yellowing agents reducing PAR by up to 25% (which sounds pretty darn high to me), and a "2 bucket test" to visually inspect your own tank water for organics (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/When-should-you-change-your-carbon-How-To-Tuesday/). The assumption that the removal (or persistence) of yellowing compounds is similar to the removal (or persistence) of undesirable organics seems reasonable to me.

I wanted an easier way to assess my tank water for color, so I bought a fluorescent bulb sleeve (clear) and a white PVC endcap from the local hardware store, cut the sleeve with scissors to a few inches shorter than my tank is long (so I could dip the whole thing in the top of my tank easily), and crazy glued the PVC cap onto the tube to make that end watertight.

I've run through 2 brands of activated charcoal, taken various photos with comparisons, and have some thoughts. Background - my tank is a Red Sea Reefer 170, 32 gallon display with sump, total water volume 43 gallons. I used both Red Sea activated charcoal (300 mL, pics not shown) and ROX 0.8 (300 mL, summary pic below). I have a finger leather and a toadstool leather, a variety of mushrooms and zoanthids, and some LPS with a few SPS. I feed roughly 1/2 cube of food, run the tank skimmerless, and have a refugium with dragon's breath and chaeto under a PAR38 bulb in the sump with another large clump of dragon's breath in the main tank. All activated charcoal is contained in a mesh bag in a good flow area of the sump. Bioload is a common clown, cleaner shrimp, and a Wheeler's shrimp goby. I had a Midas blenny who sadly jumped when I had the mesh lid off for coral rearrangement and didn't find his body until the next day.

Here's a sample picture of water colors (white balanced using ProCamera off of a paper towel, roughly 3K in each photo. My thanks to someone who pointed out white balancing to me for this) -
upload_2017-7-19_22-15-13.png

July 7 was when I thought my old activated charcoal was used up. I replaced it with ROX 300 mL (roughly 9 mL/gallon display tank volume), and July 8 is after roughly 12 hours. On 7/12, the water was yellowed similar to 7/7, so I removed the bag, and over the sink massaged the bag to break up any clumps and move the pieces of activated charcoal around as much as possible. I then rinsed it under tap water to remove any new fine particles and placed it back; 7/13 the water was nice and light blue like 7/8 again. Unfortunately, doing this a second time on 7/18 didn't work very well.

Also not shown - pics for my Red Sea carbon, which tells a similar story (may have lasted slightly less long, but in either case each bag needed manipulation after about 5-7 days to get back to blue water, and a second bag manipulation didn't do much of anything).

My take on this - activated charcoal at a dose of roughly 9 mL per gallon of display tank volume removes visible organic coloring agents for roughly 7-10 days in my tank, with the bag needing to be massaged at roughly the halfway point to maximize adsorption of organics. Assuming I buy ROX by the gallon at BRS, I can replace the charcoal 3x monthly at a rough cost of $11/12 monthly (or increase the volume so that I only need to replace it every 2-4 weeks), use carbon in bursts and accept that my water won't be blue and pristine the entire month, or try to remove things that generate yellowing agents (seeing as I'm trying to run a skimmerless macroalgae-filled refugium tank this seems impractical). I thought about using a reactor for activated charcoal (which in a different BRS video looks like it works more rapidly at removing agents), but since I had water clearing in under 12 hours and manipulating the carbon didn't seem to free up any more adsorbing capacity the second time around, I don't see an "effectiveness" reason to buy a reactor. I suspect that it would be more convenient, however.

While there are a variety of flaws and assumptions in this, the idea of monitoring tank water color as a marker for changing activated charcoal seems useful to me. I hope my experiments are interesting as well.

Any thoughts?
11-12

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting!

OP
OP
O

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see if purigen removes the discoloration.

I don't have any Purigen, but the measuring device cost me around $6-8 to make so it should be pretty easy to duplicate. You could also replace your Purigen, and then a day later do a partial water change and look in the bucket of old tank water (assuming that it's white). The color differences are easier to detect if you paste the photos into a paint program and put them side by side. If I ever get Purigen, I'll try this out.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, I should try it out. Seems like the purigen lasts forever before discoloring for recharge. In my fw tanks it darkens much faster. I am curious now if it really lasts that much longer than carbon.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting but would be better if you can take a sample water and have a setup for photographing it. There's more to it than just white balancing. Not just the settings, but the lighting needs to match as well for every photo taken.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that!

Yep rox . 8 seems to last me only 5 days too.

Fwiw ozone seems to be more effective at removal of doc. Also if you use ozone and carbon, youll get up to 70% doc removal. Combined with a skimmer 100%.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned possible flaws in assumptions.

One is that the carbon will get coated with bacteria and will become less active/inactive. So one cannot assume (not saying you did, but folks shouldn't) that twice as much will last twice as long. In fact, at some scale, it may last no longer. :)

Also, I would not assume that removing of yellow compounds necessarily tracks with other organics in removal. That mismatch is undoubtedly true for ozone and other oxidizers, since they specifically react with light absorbing chemicals to make them no longer absorb, but they are still in the water. I am not certain how it tracks with total organics when using GAC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One is that the carbon will get coated with bacteria and will become less active/inactive. So one cannot assume (not saying you did, but folks shouldn't) that twice as much will last twice as long. In fact, at some scale, it may last no longer. :)

Also, I would not assume that removing of yellow compounds necessarily tracks with other organics in removal. That mismatch is undoubtedly true for ozone and other oxidizers, since they specifically react with light absorbing chemicals to make them no longer absorb, but they are still in the water. I am not certain how it tracks with total organics when using GAC.

Randy - thanks for your input (I was hoping that you would respond, as I appreciate your expertise).

So . . . if activated charcoal's inability to adsorb organics may be more related to bacterial coatings rather than that the pores are completely filled/bound/exhausted, then using half as much carbon should last more than half of the times that I posted above (theoretically). I think that I will try that for this next round.

As for organics removal tracking with removal of visible yellowing agents - it's definitely an assumption, but I don't know of another way to rapidly and easily check the tank for organics content. If I wanted to spend the time/effort/money, I assume that Triton would be able to analyze water samples (get a reading when the water is clear/bluish after a carbon change, and get another reading when the water is back to yellow). Frankly, I probably won't do that (at least, I don't plan on doing that currently) purely for cost and convenience reasons although it would certainly be interesting to do. Maybe in the future . . .

I've resisted running a skimmer since 1) my skimmer takes up a ton of space which is now occupied by a refugium, and 2) I'd like to maximize pod production. This probably gets back to a desire to have a mandarinfish someday, although I don't intend on ever doing this in this tank/setup as I feel that both my main tank and my refugium would never be adequate for pod production. I'd love to have one that would thrive, however.

For photos, I typically photograph in the corner of my kitchen under the same lighting with a paper towel for white balancing. I think that it's at least consistent in terms of light coloration/intensity.

I've never run an ozonizer - I'd do a lot more research before buying one, I think.

Time to change the carbon - will try 50% of my prior dose and see how long it lasts.

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run an ozoniser for nearly 20 years ... beautiful crystal clear water ... also run top quality skimmer to ensure that the nutrients come out of the water rather than just float around in disguise.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO carbon is great for removal of chemicals,water issues needing immediate attention. For clearing asthetic purposes it is an expensive media with very little positives other than less than a week clearing enjoyment that I dont really notice other than inspecting closely such as with your experiment

OP
OP
O

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed carbon at roughly midnight 7/21; as of 7/22 at 10 AM, water is back to clear/bluish. 150 ml ROX, so 50% of the prior dose. I'll keep posting updates to see if this dose lasts as long, half as long, or whatever compared to 300 mL.

OP
OP
O

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching the Internet for any data on what/how well Purigen works, and haven't found anything beyond a lot of posts by people saying that they like it (and that it lasts for a while). I may have to try some and see how well that works for water discoloration as above.

If anyone has any references as to what Purigen removes or doesn't (I haven't found anything on heavy metal reduction, for example), or comparative data with activated charcoal, please let me know.

I'm also interested in any evidence that activated charcoal has the potential to strip out desired trace elements or cause problems besides HLLE, as I haven't been able to find anything on problems besides random anecdotes (again, besides HLLE).

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any direct links to what all purigen removes but in freshwater I do know it does a great job of removing staining from the water that driftwood adds. If added to a stained fw tank it noticeably changes from white to brown/black and removes the color from the water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen any tests, but Purigen will bind organic matter, mostly through hydrophobic interactions, but I also suspect it carries some charge and may bind charged organics too. It's binding will be similar but slightly different to GAC. So it will bind a slightly different type of organics, but also many of the same ones, and also won't bind many of the organics that GAC won't bind (e.g., methanol).

I doubt it binds metals directly (Seachem says it doesn't bind many trace elements) and probably only binds them as they are bound to organics that themselves get bound by the Purigen.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For photos, I typically photograph in the corner of my kitchen under the same lighting with a paper towel for white balancing. I think that it's at least consistent in terms of light coloration/intensity.

I've never run an ozonizer - I'd do a lot more research before buying one, I think.

FWIW, I used photos to judge yellowing when initiating ozone:

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

Figure 1. Two digital photographs of a plastic bar taken through four feet of aquarium water. The bar on the left was taken before using ozone, and the bar on the right was taken after two weeks on ozone. The numbers were written onto the bar with marking pens. All camera settings were identical.
tn_Figure1_jpg.jpg

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to concur on the duration of usability when doubling quantity, but it will remove more pollutants in the mean time. True?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to concur on the duration of usability when doubling quantity, but it will remove more pollutants in the mean time. True?

If a significant portion of the capacity is being taken up before bacteria coat it, yes. If not, then no, or not much. :).

stevepaynr84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching the Internet for any data on what/how well Purigen works, and haven't found anything beyond a lot of posts by people saying that they like it (and that it lasts for a while). I may have to try some and see how well that works for water discoloration as above.

If anyone has any references as to what Purigen removes or doesn't (I haven't found anything on heavy metal reduction, for example), or comparative data with activated charcoal, please let me know.

I'm also interested in any evidence that activated charcoal has the potential to strip out desired trace elements or cause problems besides HLLE, as I haven't been able to find anything on problems besides random anecdotes (again, besides HLLE).
Have to say I've tried purigen this month instead of my ATM carbon that I usually go for after having it recommeded to me strongly and have been thoroughly unimpressed. Not saying it doesn't work and it may just be my tank but haven't noticed any difference in water clarity (when with the ATM carbon it's clear within a few hours) it may just be my setup as I can't imagine that everyone who uses it is wrong but for me it's just no good and I won't be getting it again. The same for the red sea carbon. Bought that a while back as was on offer and thought it was rubbish. With this hobby I dont think there's any right or wrong answers I feel it's more down to finding what works for your setup and maximising it and for me for water clarity it's the ATM stuff.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to say I've tried purigen this month instead of my ATM carbon that I usually go for after having it recommeded to me strongly and have been thoroughly unimpressed. Not saying it doesn't work and it may just be my tank but haven't noticed any difference in water clarity (when with the ATM carbon it's clear within a few hours) it may just be my setup as I can't imagine that everyone who uses it is wrong but for me it's just no good and I won't be getting it again. The same for the red sea carbon. Bought that a while back as was on offer and thought it was rubbish. With this hobby I dont think there's any right or wrong answers I feel it's more down to finding what works for your setup and maximizing it and for me for water clarity it's the ATM stuff.

I have found BRS Carbon ROX .08 works better http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html and they have a middle grade that is ok too. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-small-particle-lignite-aquarium-carbon.html (less efficient but still worth using) I put them in this bag https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AA46RG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ( used in a reactor) Also use for GFO as well http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/rowaphos-phosphate-remover.html or http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide-high-capacity.html

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back