Hobby longevity

oat.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I’m in the process of excitedly setting up my second aquarium. Witch will be the pre cursor to my third dream aquarium when my living situation allows for it, as such I am purchasing or should I say investing into decent equipment in the hopes I can use it on my larger tank one day. Making sure that it will also be appropriate for the current tank it’s intended for in the immediate future. Now this morning I read a news article about coral reefs bleaching and concerns around the reality that this will persist into the future especially if we fail to change our habits around ocean acidification and what we do to contribute to it. Now not wanting to get into the politics of this. My question is what are the realistic expectations of the hobbits that this hobby has the longevity associated with its cost. My concern is this. I have a hard time affording corals as is when the oceans no longer become a place that we can obtain new specimen’s for the hobby to sell or aquaculture were does that leave the average enthusiasts. Is there a lot of general concern out there about the average hobbyist being able to continue to participate in this hobby or will this become a hobby for those with much deeper pockets? When I started this hobby I justified the cost with the expectation of the challenge and made the commitment not to give up regardless of my failings or successes as such my goal is to maintain and aquarium well into my future. That being said as it stands I’m watching a lot of corals continue to price out of my reach and as conditions in the world change I fear I may be unable to participate in the hobby being left with a pill of equipment that is no longer of any use to myself. Is anyone else concerned about this or am I being overly dramatic and letting the media get to me?

Side note. One would think that aquarists could actually be beneficial in a way you would think we create a redundancy for the ocean. Understanding that it only applies if we do it right and with conservative ideals we could in theory help to safeguard many coral species from extinction should there ever be a need. Something that I feel could be important one day unfortunately, but something we as a community could contribute back to society. Just a thought curious to hear others opinions.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I’m in the process of excitedly setting up my second aquarium. Witch will be the pre cursor to my third dream aquarium when my living situation allows for it, as such I am purchasing or should I say investing into decent equipment in the hopes I can use it on my larger tank one day. Making sure that it will also be appropriate for the current tank it’s intended for in the immediate future. Now this morning I read a news article about coral reefs bleaching and concerns around the reality that this will persist into the future especially if we fail to change our habits around ocean acidification and what we do to contribute to it. Now not wanting to get into the politics of this. My question is what are the realistic expectations of the hobbits that this hobby has the longevity associated with its cost. My concern is this. I have a hard time affording corals as is when the oceans no longer become a place that we can obtain new specimen’s for the hobby to sell or aquaculture were does that leave the average enthusiasts. Is there a lot of general concern out there about the average hobbyist being able to continue to participate in this hobby or will this become a hobby for those with much deeper pockets? When I started this hobby I justified the cost with the expectation of the challenge and made the commitment not to give up regardless of my failings or successes as such my goal is to maintain and aquarium well into my future. That being said as it stands I’m watching a lot of corals continue to price out of my reach and as conditions in the world change I fear I may be unable to participate in the hobby being left with a pill of equipment that is no longer of any use to myself. Is anyone else concerned about this or am I being overly dramatic and letting the media get to me?

Side note. One would think that aquarists could actually be beneficial in a way you would think we create a redundancy for the ocean. Understanding that it only applies if we do it right and with conservative ideals we could in theory help to safeguard many coral species from extinction should there ever be a need. Something that I feel could be important one day unfortunately, but something we as a community could contribute back to society. Just a thought curious to hear others opinions.
Coral reefs have been around longer than we have and they will likely be around after we are gone. This will likely be an unpopular position and I will likely get roasted over it. If we lose all Coral reefs we are very likely to lose humanity altogether considering their importance to all ecosystems.

Enjoy the hobby, be a responsible and conscious Coral owner; it’s likely that in the near future we’ll only be able to obtain aquacultured Coral as harvesting will be declared illegal. There have already been bans on imports from various regions at different times. That said there will still be plenty of GSP, Xenia, and Duncans out there for us all to enjoy in our tanks form the already existing strains being raised in captivity right now.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there will always be options in the future. I’ve seen beautiful softie / macro algae tanks. So many options and choices that aren’t being harvested from the reefs.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back