Add float switch to ATB Skimmer Cup controlled by Apex Controller

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought new Apex Controller about 4 weeks. I control many things in the tank and sump and I really love it. Now I decided to add float switch to ATB Medium Cone Skimmer Cup... just peace of mind when I'm away from home. I copied an idea from my Atlanta local reefer, Dave (Acroholic).

I had over-floating in a skimmer a few times in the past. I learned the trick that works for me. Put the towel on the top of the skimmer cup to cover all the holes. Once the cup fills, the skimmer will stop producing but would still stay running.

Long term solution: I need to add float switch to Skimmer cup. When the cup is full, Apex shuts off the skimmer and send me text and email.

I put all together and it works great.

APEX Controller
APEX Break Out Box
ATB Skimmer Cup
Digital Aquatics Float Switch
Radio Shack Wire and Quick Connector/Disconnector
3/8" tube

Drill one of skimmer cup hole bigger (3/8")
Insert 3/8" tube through that hole. It's a bit tight that what I want. Adjust float switch level by push down or pull up the tube

[VIDEO=youtube;71PcwVMd8cc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71PcwVMd8cc[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO=youtube;r0x9y8BiW0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0x9y8BiW0s[/VIDEO]

Russ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took one good fish-poo-flood for me to find the motivation to do the same a few months ago. My skimmer cup drains to a 5 gal jug, and the float is in the jug, but basically the same thing. Not sure what your program looks like, but I set mine to send an email/text so I don't have the skimmer off for an extended period without noticing it's full.

Took me a matter of minutes, and probably one of the best mods I've done. Thankfully we were already planning to pull the carpet that got destroyed while I was procrastinating.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back