Add Lyretail Anthias now, or later?

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got my tank set up and has cycled (180g), it has had fish added now for about two weeks. Still fairly early in. Currently has a few green chromis and a clown, and two emerald crabs. I’m looking to add in 5 lyretails, or a foxface next. I know it would be more ideal to add the foxface first from what I hear, they seem to do well in fairly newly established tanks. Do lyretails do well in newly setup tanks? Is it too early to add these, or would it be okay? They are in stock now so I was thinking about grabbing them, but if it would be more ideal to wait I can hold off. I know they’re not as easy as the other fish I’ve gotten so far and seem to require better water quality. Is this fine to add in now or should I hold off, and if I wait how long? Also is there a certain level of nitrates I should be below for them or now?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got my tank set up and has cycled (180g), it has had fish added now for about two weeks. Still fairly early in. Currently has a few green chromis and a clown, and two emerald crabs. I’m looking to add in 5 lyretails, or a foxface next. I know it would be more ideal to add the foxface first from what I hear, they seem to do well in fairly newly established tanks. Do lyretails do well in newly setup tanks? Is it too early to add these, or would it be okay? They are in stock now so I was thinking about grabbing them, but if it would be more ideal to wait I can hold off. I know they’re not as easy as the other fish I’ve gotten so far and seem to require better water quality. Is this fine to add in now or should I hold off, and if I wait how long? Also is there a certain level of nitrates I should be below for them or now?
Can’t think of a reason to hold off. 180 gallons nitrates should be pretty low with just 4-6 fish presently. Make sure to keep your Anthias well fed. Good luck.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're able to meet the frequent feeding requirements of anthias I see no reason why you would need to wait to add them.

Are the anthias you're looking at already quarantined? If not, I highly recommend quarantining them prior to putting them into your tank because of the likelihood that they could have uronema and you have uronema susceptable fish already in your tank (your chromis).

Nitrate levels are a concern if you're keeping a reef tank, but if you're just keeping fish I wouldn't worry about your levels since your tank is cycled.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added 5 anthias

1 died about 2 days into quarantine.
1 more died 5 days into quarantine
1 more died about 21 days into quarantine

I decided to end quarantine early and add the 2 remaining survivors into the display tank. They are alive and well as of today

basically what i am saying is do not be surprised if you have 1 or more of the anthias die.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added 5 anthias

1 died about 2 days into quarantine.
1 more died 5 days into quarantine
1 more died about 21 days into quarantine

I decided to end quarantine early and add the 2 remaining survivors into the display tank. They are alive and well as of today

basically what i am saying is do not be surprised if you have 1 or more of the anthias die.

This!

If you want 5, you'll probably want to start off with 9 or even 11.

OP
OP
A

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t think of a reason to hold off. 180 gallons nitrates should be pretty low with just 4-6 fish presently. Make sure to keep your Anthias well fed. Good luck.
My nitrates have been between 32-37. The cycle had them around 40 but water changes and the small chaeto I have have kept them in that range. I wouldn’t think that would be enough to be an issue?

OP
OP
A

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're able to meet the frequent feeding requirements of anthias I see no reason why you would need to wait to add them.

Are the anthias you're looking at already quarantined? If not, I highly recommend quarantining them prior to putting them into your tank because of the likelihood that they could have uronema and you have uronema susceptable fish already in your tank (your chromis).

Nitrate levels are a concern if you're keeping a reef tank, but if you're just keeping fish I wouldn't worry about your levels since your tank is cycled.
My nitrates have been 37ish on the high end, this should be okay for fish only correct? I’m aware of uronema risk and of their frequent feeding needs

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates have been 37ish on the high end, this should be okay for fish only correct? I’m aware of uronema risk and of their frequent feeding needs
You’re all good. My nitrates have been over 90 fish don’t even notice.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back