Add me to the RO Oops Flood Club

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was filling up a 3.5 gallon jug of RO water. I had it (so I thought) on a 15 minute Kasa timer to turn off. I went about my business working. A few hours later I see water in my breakfast room. Tracing back... it ran from my bathroom, across a hall, through the doorway of my husbands workshop, through the walls to my laundry room and breakfast room and it was making it's way out of the slider to the lanai. (back porch if you do not live in Florida)
I spent most of the last hour using every towel and sponge I own to dry up the mess. It was looking like the worst victim was going to be my daughters old particle board bookcase, which is LOADED and now soaked. I give it till Friday to just collapse.
On a whim, I walked into the spare bedroom.... squish. squish. squirt.
This is the only room left in the house with original Pergo (point of sale) laminate flooring. How many days do you think I have before that starts to grow mold? Any chance it will make it to the weekend? Every other room that got wet had tile. This is our only casualty but it is going to be a huge PITA with a queen size Thomasville bedroom set in there. I do not have a dehumidifier but that room has great AC.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have food insurance? I’d try and file a claim with that much water, you ARE going to have issues. Also contact a disaster clean up service.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have done the exact thing 10 times if my rodi wasn’t in my basement right next to a floor drain. So sorry this happened. Shop vac and a lot of air movement will be your best bet. Good luck!!

mccune

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t flooded the house your aren’t reefing.
I can’t even count how many times I have done it to various amounts.
Clean up move on hope the spouse doesn’t figure it out
Grab a large fan if you can and point it in the wet area. If you can pull up a part of the rug and have the fan blowing under it

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're well beyond shop vac. LOL While I was running around like a chicken drying up tile in the rest of the house... that Pergo and it's garbage underlayment were absorbing water and swelling. The floor is toast. I can accept that. I just can't pull it up until I can get my son in law down here to move the triple dresser away from the wall.
I have had little floods before. I thought I had the solution with the Kasa timer. I have no idea what went wrong. Hubby is not a happy camper. Did I mention that I flooded his woodshop? Sopping wet sawdust. Wet biscuit joiner... wet grinder...
Oh well, I get the I Flooded my House Badge now.... LOL That really should be a thing.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to the club.

I would contact your insurance company. You don’t need flood for this. It does sound like if you don’t do something you may need mold remediation in the future. At minimum I would check into renting the commercial dehumidifiers from sunbelt or another rental company You can also call companies like Servpro to come in and clean.

I had to replace my kitchen floor and bottom 1/3 of drywall after my issue. HO Insurance covered it all.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but it happens. We have Amazon's alexa for verbal timers which I use for rodi filling.
I'd hesitate to report to insurance, should be for catastrophic events.
People think it's free money, but your rates go up with each claim.
Then there's the deductible, before you get a check.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks sorry to hear that .

I will go against popular opinion and say dont contact your insurance company lol unless you like higher rates! I doubt mold should be an issue if you get that pergo floor up and some fans in to dry subfloor. Pergo is pretty cheap and if that and a bookshelf is only permanent damage seems unworthy of putting that claim on record.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're well beyond shop vac. LOL While I was running around like a chicken drying up tile in the rest of the house... that Pergo and it's garbage underlayment were absorbing water and swelling. The floor is toast. I can accept that. I just can't pull it up until I can get my son in law down here to move the triple dresser away from the wall.
I have had little floods before. I thought I had the solution with the Kasa timer. I have no idea what went wrong. Hubby is not a happy camper. Did I mention that I flooded his woodshop? Sopping wet sawdust. Wet biscuit joiner... wet grinder...
Oh well, I get the I Flooded my House Badge now.... LOL That really should be a thing.
@ReefSquad

This site needs a "Wet House Badge" to commemorate these kinds of posts.

Same for electric fires and Tank Failures.

We need BADges.

Flooded House Remodel badge?

I Waste a House full of Water badge?

Thank The Lord it Wasn't a Toilet Leak Badge?

I Wasted all my upgrade budget replacing a Pergo floor badge?

Water Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... the floor will cost me $583 (+ tax). Subfloor is concrete. The saving grace here is that everything else was tile. It does not look like it soaked up the drywall. I'll keep an eye on the baseboards though. May need a little Kilz and some paint. Not enough to warrant a claim.

Good idea @Mastiffsrule about the blower. I will have to look into that tomorrow... or at least a dehumidifier if they rent them.

I have a significant mold allergy. If I get the faintest whiff of anything in there, I'm going to have to start breaking up floor this week. Just hoping to hold out for the weekend.

I am going to roll on the notion that everything happens for a reason. My Dad has MDS and he needs to goto the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. We are going to need to move him down here in the next month or so. At least he'll have a clean, new floor.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make the RODI in the garage using a 40 gal container. I use another 40 gal container to mix the salt. I bought 75' of python hose and use that to drain my DT into the tub and to pump from the garage to fill. I always check the connections to make sure nothing is dripping. I know how I would feel if the water leaked in the house. I'm sorry for your mishap!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been there, done that (too many times). Nothing to add, I just hate it for you.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your RODI has an ASOV valve you can get a brute trash can and cut a hole it the top and add a float valve to shut off the flow when it is full. If you have a controller you can also add empty and full sensors to turn on the RODI and turn it off using solenoid valves. On most controllers you can also add leak detectors to shutoff the valves if a leak is detected. Below are photos of the DI storage tank I use. The float valve is in the center of the lid. It is just for backup since my controller turns on and off the fill solenoid and uses the float switches to do that. My ATO pump draws directly from the tank.

D5812D0B-452A-4B5E-B5D0-68DCCD688FEC.jpeg

0F08B085-EC82-4E0D-B694-C3B8A7F7CF8C.jpeg

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back