which fish would you removed?

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeling overstocked... which fish would you guys return to LFS or rehome.
Kinda wanna rehome the Midas and clownfish (female bites me)

Tank is 4ft 140g tank

Fish stock:
Engineer goby - 8 inch
Hippo tang - 6 inch
Melanarus wrasse - 5 inch
Midas Blenny - 4 inch
Flame angel - 3.5 inch
Tomini tang - 3 inch
Hawk fish - 2.5 inch
Swissgaurd basslet - 2.5 inch
Orchid dottyback - 2.5 inch
Pair of clownfish - 3inch
Starry Blenny - 1.5 inch

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't seem overstocked to me and I think it's a sign of love when clowns bite you lol

Upvote 0

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't seem overstocked to me and I think it's a sign of love when clowns bite you lol
I absolutely agree. I think it's kind of cute when a clown bites you, it certainly does not hurt. And I don't think this sounds over stocked at all for the tank size.

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this perspective LOL. Wow really?? how many more fish could I have?

I agree with the above, at present you're tank has a realitively low bioload for it's size. But your consideration should be what is going to be a healthy and sustainable bioload when your fish are mature. Not what you can squeeze into your tank right now. Your hippo tang and engineer goby have max sizes of a foot and 2 feet, respectively, and should be expected to get to at least 2/3 or 3/4 of their max sizes. At those sizes your tank will be too small and to best insure a long healthy life span (should be at least a couple decades) will need to be moved to larger systems. S I would advise on waiting until you rehome them before adding more fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, at present you're tank has a realitively low bioload for it's size. But your consideration should be what is going to be a healthy and sustainable bioload when your fish are mature. Not what you can squeeze into your tank right now. Your hippo tang and engineer goby have max sizes of a foot and 2 feet, respectively, and should be expected to get to at least 2/3 or 3/4 of their max sizes. At those sizes your tank will be too small and to best insure a long healthy life span (should be at least a couple decades) will need to be moved to larger systems. S I would advise on waiting until you rehome them before adding more fish.
I see your point thank you for your advise

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree. I think it's kind of cute when a clown bites you, it certainly does not hurt. And I don't think this sounds over stocked at all for the tank size.
Many clownfish are reported to draw blood, and they use their teeth to rip the flesh. It is not a tiny little needle that the nurse jabs into your skin.

I don't know how many clownfish I have come across at fish stores that were returned because they are so territorial and would not allow a hand in their tank to wipe down the glass. Not all of them are this aggressive but once you have reached into a tank with a Mike Tyson Percula you may change your perspective on how cute Mike is. :thinking-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :cool:

I've watched grown men panic and later refuse to reach into "Tysons" tank, and they (the fish) usually are tiny and nowhere near full grown!

Upvote 0

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4ft tank is too small for a hippo tang, especially one that’s already 6 inches. That would be the first candidate, in my opinion. And I know it doesn’t feel good to rehome tangs in particular (charismatic little guys).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many clownfish are reported to draw blood, and they use their teeth to rip the flesh. It is not a tiny little needle that the nurse jabs into your skin.

I don't know how many clownfish I have come across at fish stores that were returned because they are so territorial and would not allow a hand in their tank to wipe down the glass. Not all of them are this aggressive but once you have reached into a tank with a Mike Tyson Percula you may change your perspective on how cute Mike is. :thinking-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :cool:

I've watched grown men panic and later refuse to reach into "Tysons" tank, and they (the fish) usually are tiny and nowhere near full grown!
i fear my clown fish

Upvote 0

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay, well we can each only go on actual personal experience, and mine has never been an issue. Neither in my current tank, nor the tank I had 17 years ago. Maybe I have just been lucky enough to get fairly passive fish, because yes, of course if anything bites you and draws blood, it is not very "cute". But my experiences with clowns nipping has been nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, well we can each only go on actual personal experience, and mine has never been an issue. Neither in my current tank, nor the tank I had 17 years ago. Maybe I have just been lucky enough to get fairly passive fish, because yes, of course if anything bites you and draws blood, it is not very "cute". But my experiences with clowns nipping has been nothing to worry about.
ur clown is a unicorn... i wish. Mine is out for blood

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL their bites lowkey hurt
I had one that jumped and bit my forehead. Had little clownfish teeth indents in the middle of my face! Made me bleed too

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back