Add pair of clowns to existing tank with clowns.

TommyVds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So i have a nanotank with 2 black clownfish and a reeftank with 2 clownfish who have been together for about 2 years and paired up.
I'm wondering if I could add the black clowns in my 47 gallon reeftank which already has a pair of clowns. (tank is 101cm x 41cm x 50cm)
I'm now wondering if I could add the 2 pairs together in the 47gal or will they fight or show agression.

Should I just keep the black ones in the nano?

Cheers all

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
101cm doesn't sound big enough to support two families of clowns. Are both pair ocellaris?

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread as I'm also interested.

With a new 6ft tank waiting to go into the house, I'm wondering whether it's possible to have 2 pairs of clowns in that sized tank. Would never attempt it with my existing 2ft cube but the missus has said she'd love to get some black storm or something similar to add.

The existing 2 seem to just keep themselves occupied to one section of the existing tank for the most part but who knows how they'll behave in the larger one.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread as I'm also interested.

With a new 6ft tank waiting to go into the house, I'm wondering whether it's possible to have 2 pairs of clowns in that sized tank. Would never attempt it with my existing 2ft cube but the missus has said she'd love to get some black storm or something similar to add.

The existing 2 seem to just keep themselves occupied to one section of the existing tank for the most part but who knows how they'll behave in the larger one.
I have 7 ft. Two sets of clowns, one group of three and a pair introduced a year later. It works, but they they fight frequently enough that I am working on rehoming the second pair. They will survive but I want them to thrive.

Just my experience. Mileage may vary.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 ft. Two sets of clowns, one group of three and a pair introduced a year later. It works, but they they fight frequently enough that I am working on rehoming the second pair. They will survive but I want them to thrive.

Appreciate the info.
Did they set up homes near one another or across the other side of the tank ?

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first group hangs out in the center back of the tank and the other group hangs out in the two front corners.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your established clownfish will likely beat up any newcomers. Mine surely did in my 3ft tank.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your established clownfish will likely beat up any newcomers. Mine surely did in my 3ft tank.
What if you were to add the newbies to the new tank at the same time ? So it's effectively neutral ground for everyone apart from all the fish that know each other from existing tank. Is that likely to be more successful than adding to established or are we talking very minimal difference ?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to keep 1 female. You can keep several Juveniles with the pair, but they can get abuse pretty bad. There is no way you can keep two females in that tank unless there is a complete divider in between.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you were to add the newbies to the new tank at the same time ? So it's effectively neutral ground for everyone apart from all the fish that know each other from existing tank. Is that likely to be more successful than adding to established or are we talking very minimal difference ?
If you add small ones at the same time, I don’t think there would be an issue. I have a 40 gallon with 6 clowns.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an established pair in an 80 gallon, and added 3 later on. Everyone got along for a while, but all of a sudden one of the three started to be an butt. Needless to say, he was re-homed. The remaining 4 all get along wonderfully, often swimming together in a group, though each pair will sleep in different areas most of the time.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It works but they fight frequently?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back