add sand to make it a Dsb????????

  • Thread starter Thread starter inletfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

inletfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2013
Messages
451
Reaction score
827
Location
murrells inlet
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand in my 6 mo old 150 is about 1 to 3 inches prolly an even two if I smoothed it out.

I feel like I would like to make it a dsb.....

Should I a. Buy 5 more bags and add em in

B. Slowly add sand till its 4+ inches?

I dont know how this works with an existing sand bed but I dont want to start over.

Thanks for the advise in advance!
 
I would add a little at a time over several weeks. I don't think it would hurt anything as long as you don't go too fast. just my 02. My next build I am planning a remote dsb in sump since I have read some change out 25% every 1-2 years.
 
Yeah I have a 24"/17" fudge with a four inch coarse black sand bed and macro. I made a thread asking if I should get rid of it for finer sand but only one person responded saying they thought it would be fine like that.

Do you think that is enough or should I do dsb up top too. Sand in there now is eighty lbs oolite and 40lbs bimini pink for color
 
If you aren't having issues with anything I would just stay with the fuge. I would think maybe could add a little to that bed and may see benefits. Some say as much as 12" but every tank is different. My next tank will have at least 6" and as big as I can make it, an ATS and a big skimmer. Have tried pellets and didn't like them, I like as natural as possible and as easy as possible. The easier the more enjoyment I get out of it.
 
How would you do your ars? Im thinking of making my overflow run into chamber one with an ats off to an external protein skimmer return from skimmer and excess water flowing through fudge in two and then return. Does this seem redundant?
 
I belive I read that if you add too much sand at once onto an exisiting live sandbed that you would kill your exisiting sand bed and cause some serious issues. Either go all at once, or add sand slowly in different area of the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new