Add Tomini Tang or Anthias next?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ohartman13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ohartman13

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2025
Messages
38
Reaction score
24
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just added 2 Mocha Clownfish to my tank. My future stock list includes a Tomini Tang, Lyretail Anthias (1M/3F), a Melanurus Wrasse, & a Diamond Goby (or a similar fish).

What should I add next? It won’t be for 3-4 weeks.

My tank is fresh off a cycle so I expect algae & thought the tang would be good for that. However, I want to give the Anthias the best chance to thrive and have been advised that adding them earlier will help since they can establish themselves.

The Wrasse & Goby being added later makes sense for multiple reasons, but I am open to any thoughts.

Appreciate the help!
20250901_193920_5D5B8CAE-3CCE-4EA3-919C-83CE9AE22CFD.png
 
IMO Tomini. Anthias want to eat 24/7 and are tough to keep alive (I have never had luck with Anthias). Heavy feeding in an immature tank will not end well.
Appreciate the point. I agree & that’s the hold up… I don’t think Tomini’s are too aggressive and believe adding them first would make more sense with growing the bioload before the Anthias
 
I added my main fish stock all at once as juvi's from an online source that quarantined for me. They all grew up together and have never had any kind of aggression. I also feed very heavy and export heavy, but went through a 6 month phase where that was very hard to manage and keep the ugly phase at bay.
 
Your tank is probably still to immature/clean to keep a Diamond Goby well fed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new