Added 3 clownfish

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jbj45 with 3 green chromis and a melenarus wrasse. Yesterday I added 3 clownfish (different sizes for the most part). They didn't eat at all yesterday. Should I be worried? Did I add too many fish? They seem timid of the others

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a week thats perfectly normal for clowns unless you see signs of internal parasites like white stringy poop.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jbj45 with 3 green chromis and a melenarus wrasse. Yesterday I added 3 clownfish (different sizes for the most part). They didn't eat at all yesterday. Should I be worried? Did I add too many fish? They seem timid of the others
They may just be acclimatizing. When I added my clownfish one hid away for like two straight days.

With that said, keep an eye on them to see if they exhibit any symptoms of disease or is bullied by others. It also depends on their size relative to the chromis and wrasse too.

Slightly unrelated, generally it is not recommended to add 3 clownfish, as the perception is that two will pair up and kill the third. I believe I have seen some people have 3 clownfish and it worked out though, can't remember what they had to do for that. There are people who also keep a large number of clownfish in a 'harem', but that's a different story.

In the wild, clownfish can be found in more than pairs, with three not being too uncommon. However, I would presume there are many factors at play then. Something like it being open water and the third could run away more effectively could even play a role. In our aquariums things are 'a bit' different.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back