Added Yellow Cucumber - is he hurting my rank

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a yellow cucumber from my LFS. salinity was lower than expected. I dropped him for I think 90 min with a heater. Salinity matches and I put him in. Despite using digital equipment I think something is off for calibration as my tank water felt colder. Here’s how he looks:

I have a closed torch, stylo, and goniopora. Don’t know if it’s random from moving a net. Anemones, monti caps, and other torch seem okay. I have another tank, a quarantine tank that has never seen medication, on hand. Should I put the sponge in there immediately?

6284329B-F212-4B69-A352-0E345C0C2A45.jpeg

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont move it unless your sure its dying if they are stressed out enough they can release a toxin that could kill your whole tank. Avoid stressing it at all costs.
Thank you. I think the corals are okay and the cucumber is okay. Here’s what he looks like now:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 62

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are beautiful filter feeders for an established reef aquarium. The Yellow Sea Cucumber requires live rock to provide the nutrients it needs to sustain its health. It will usually find a location with moderate to strong current. It is a filter-feeding cucumber and similar in nature to the Sea Apple. If a small group is kept, spawning in the home aquarium is possible. They may also reproduce by dividing into 2 individuals. Like other Sea Cucumbers, Colochirus robustus has the potential to poison an aquarium. This Sea Cucumber cannot tolerate high nitrate levels or copper-based medications.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's absolutely beautiful looks very healthy imo. Great find! Gotta get me one of them.
Thanks! He ended up crawling a little higher to find his spot where he's resided since. Do you know if its normal for them to periodically close their feeding tentacles? They were open this morning and now they are closed, and I'm not sure if he's "not hungry" or if its a sign he isn't liking my water quality - if my nitrates are a little too high.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back