Biota yellow tang/vendor feedback!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my yellow tang, Chip, from Biota! He is my first fish Ive gotten from them. He has grown super fast and is a beautiful bright yellow! He was so tiny and pale when I got him, and I see thats a reason a lot of people are skeptical about them. But he colored up so nice within the week! He is my brightest colored fish and I refer to him as “my little highlighter” cause he is so bright! I think Biota is doing a really cool thing and Im glad these guys are on the market from them! I absolutely love my little guy! Currently looking at their coral beauty as a last fish for my other tank! Would recommend them to anyone honestly! Watching Chip grow up from a tiny little guy the size of a quarter to where he is now is so rewarding!

Keep doing good things Biota! Thank you for Chip, he is an amazing fish!

IMG_4805.jpeg

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I have had the same experience with Biota. My yellow tang from Biota is going on 1.5 years old. The color is bright yellow and growing like a weed. I have had the same experience with Blue Mandarins from Biota.

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biota yellow tang is basically a member of the family at this point. She follows me everywhere as I walk around the tank like a puppy begging for food lol

Also, do all of those big tangs, triggers, angels and butterflies get along together? Your tank must be huge!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biota yellow tang is basically a member of the family at this point. She follows me everywhere as I walk around the tank like a puppy begging for food lol

Also, do all of those big tangs, triggers, angels and butterflies get along together? Your tank must be huge!
Yeah they all get along! The triggers communicate with each other all the time, none of the the tangs fight and my two angels have figured it out! My regal did not like the french for a while but now she doesnt mind him as long as he doesnt follow her around. The blue tang occasionally annoys the triggers because he wants to swim in a group with them and they are like nah triggers only lol. But yeah everyone gets along just fine!

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they all get along! The triggers communicate with each other all the time, none of the the tangs fight and my two angels have figured it out! My regal did not like the french for a while but now she doesnt mind him as long as he doesnt follow her around. The blue tang occasionally annoys the triggers because he wants to swim in a group with them and they are like nah triggers only lol. But yeah everyone gets along just fine!
Awesome, definitely a very nice collection of fish!:star-struck:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. When you have time try and get a video that showcases the Yellow Tang to the best of your ability. That way fellow hobbyist can see. Unfortunately most hobbyist are tripping up on the cost and believe the company is out to stick it to them. Sadly not many hobbyist know what it takes to bring captive bred, or raised, fish to market. Conception to reliable shipping.

I'll also note this up front that I'm a huge supporter of captive bred programs. I personally in my display have Biota Pink Square Anthias, Links Goby, Gold Lined Rabbit fish, Milletseed Butterfly fish, Radial Filefish, Matted Filefish, Upside Down Goby, and Lyretail Damsels (just added another 6 bring the total to 11). I also have a a couple acropora and a purple torch. The green acropora from Palau is a ship wrecker with branches so thick I can't trim it with normal bone cutters.

Thanks for sharing.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought three of them 6 months ago. Everyone is put off because the “small” versions are infants and still a little see through - prior they never were on display or even caught at that age. Mine all colored up to a full vibrant yellow within 2 weeks. My purple tang (also CB) used to be the biggest at 5” but now all the yellows have caught up and all 4 school together like they’re all the same.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought three of them 6 months ago. Everyone is put off because the “small” versions are infants and still a little see through - prior they never were on display or even caught at that age. Mine all colored up to a full vibrant yellow within 2 weeks. My purple tang (also CB) used to be the biggest at 5” but now all the yellows have caught up and all 4 school together like they’re all the same.
Thats so cool! And yeah I was hesitant for that reason too since I saw it all over but my yellow hawaiian died in a tank crash and I love having a yellow and purple together so I got him! He was the size of a quarter and see through - but to be expected just beinf shipped and how small! He colored up in about 2 weeks like yours! I love him. Fun to watch him grow up!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. When you have time try and get a video that showcases the Yellow Tang to the best of your ability. That way fellow hobbyist can see. Unfortunately most hobbyist are tripping up on the cost and believe the company is out to stick it to them. Sadly not many hobbyist know what it takes to bring captive bred, or raised, fish to market. Conception to reliable shipping.

I'll also note this up front that I'm a huge supporter of captive bred programs. I personally in my display have Biota Pink Square Anthias, Links Goby, Gold Lined Rabbit fish, Milletseed Butterfly fish, Radial Filefish, Matted Filefish, Upside Down Goby, and Lyretail Damsels (just added another 6 bring the total to 11). I also have a a couple acropora and a purple torch. The green acropora from Palau is a ship wrecker with branches so thick I can't trim it with normal bone cutters.

Thanks for sharing.
For sure!! Ill post progress pictures I took of him too and Ill get the video of him when I feed later today! He is camera shy unless he has something else to focus on! How does the filefish do for you?? Im looking at their filefish and coral beauty when they have them back in stock!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my yellow tang, Chip, from Biota! He is my first fish Ive gotten from them. He has grown super fast and is a beautiful bright yellow! He was so tiny and pale when I got him, and I see thats a reason a lot of people are skeptical about them. But he colored up so nice within the week! He is my brightest colored fish and I refer to him as “my little highlighter” cause he is so bright! I think Biota is doing a really cool thing and Im glad these guys are on the market from them! I absolutely love my little guy! Currently looking at their coral beauty as a last fish for my other tank! Would recommend them to anyone honestly! Watching Chip grow up from a tiny little guy the size of a quarter to where he is now is so rewarding!

Keep doing good things Biota! Thank you for Chip, he is an amazing fish!

IMG_4805.jpeg
nice! it only took 2 weeks to color up?
how small do they come?

sounds beauty post a vid if you can. would love to see that.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! it only took 2 weeks to color up?
how small do they come?

sounds beauty post a vid if you can. would love to see that.
His body was about the size of a quarter not including fins! Tiny little thing. And yeah he colored up fast!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for sharing.
I got some good pictures of him! These really show his color and size!

Attachments

• IMG_4846.png
    IMG_4846.png
    703 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4845.png
    IMG_4845.png
    624.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4844.png
    IMG_4844.png
    566.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4843.png
    IMG_4843.png
    590.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4842.png
    IMG_4842.png
    598.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4840.png
    IMG_4840.png
    701.3 KB · Views: 21

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some good pictures of him! These really show his color and size!

Yes, you do. And thank you for taking the time out of your day to do so. I think this will help our fellow hobbyist who are looking to purchase one. It just goes to show how they color up as they mature and grow.

We are so indoctrinated in buying mature, aged, wild fish and rarely get to enjoy them from captive bred, or raised, age (young). Coloration and/or similar features come with maturity so I believe what you shared is important. I think I noted it earlier but I own a lot of different fish from Biota and it is one of the benefits in my opinion getting to watch the change.

Again, thank you. I think it will help. Or so I do hope quell the rumors of pale animals or ones that look different.

All the best.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you do. And thank you for taking the time out of your day to do so. I think this will help our fellow hobbyist who are looking to purchase one. It just goes to show how they color up as they mature and grow.

We are so indoctrinated in buying mature, aged, wild fish and rarely get to enjoy them from captive bred, or raised, age (young). Coloration and/or similar features come with maturity so I believe what you shared is important. I think I noted it earlier but I own a lot of different fish from Biota and it is one of the benefits in my opinion getting to watch the change.

Again, thank you. I think it will help. Or so I do hope quell the rumors of pale animals or ones that look different.

All the best.
Thank you! I live getting baby fish and watching them grow! He is a beautiful fish and I 100% would buy from them again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back