Adding 40w UV..plumbing as a closed loop?

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered everything (I hope) to plumb a Plantair 40watt sterilizer to my reefer 350. I can’t see anyway to fit it in the sump area so I’m planning to do a closed loop with it mounted to the outside of the cabinet on one side, and plumbed to a Sicce 1.5 pump into a Neptune flow meter and a ball valve to control flow, and back into the tank. I have a clear view top and it seems the best place to plumb the inlet and outlet would be where the opening was for the arm that once held the LEDs. I’m using a hybrid T5 fixture now so that opening is available, and would eliminate cutting up my top. I’ll have to run the pvc from the sterilizer mounted on the side of the cabinet around to the back. Has anyone done a closed loop like this before? Where is the best place to install the ball valve in the plumbing? Before the flow meter, or would it matter since the flow would be the same throughout the entire inlet line? I’m thinking before the flow meter, except the reading wouldn’t take into account loss of flow from head pressure. Any tips would be appreciated.
If anyone has a better way to plumb it as opposed to a self contained system I’m all ears too.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have it all covered. I dont thing the difference in flow will be that much before or after.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a gate valve instead of a ball so you can adjust the flow. I havent plumbed one yet since I am still designing my build but I would think you would put flow meter between gate and up so you know what is going into. Hope others comment one way or the other and why.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back