Need Help with UV Plumbing

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I know there are lots of threads on this and I've looked all over, but couldn't find a definitive answer. I grabbed this pic from another user on R2R and it is pretty much how I was planning to plumb my system for the UV. Only paying attention to the main pump (left side), has anyone plumbed their UV this way where you have both UV water and non-UV water exiting out? So my concern is for this to work (if it works), do I have to adjust the flow rate for the UV and the non-UV water to be the same (equal pressure if that is the correct term)? Or that won't matter (no back pressure issues)? I'll be using a Varios 8 for this and want to run the UV flowing at 400 gph, but wondering if this plumbing will work to have the UV and non-UV water both coming out of the DT to get a higher total flow? I know I can plumb it other ways, but first wanted to see if this will work for my setup before looking into other options. Thank you.

IMG_0267_B.jpg

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I have it plumbed. Just make sure you account for head pressure loss due to bends and pipe lengths. I quickly realized I needed a stronger pump after completing my piping. Had too many 90s…

Also don’t forget to add a flow meter.
IMG_0636.jpeg

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I have it plumbed. Just make sure you account for head pressure loss due to bends and pipe lengths. I quickly realized I needed a stronger pump after completing my piping. Had too many 90s…

Also don’t forget to add a flow meter.
IMG_0636.jpeg

Thanks. So the gate valve is opened (to control UV flow?) and both UV and non-UV water will go up through the return line? Either one won't overpower the other causing the water to go backwards? Sorry for the questions, I'm still trying to understand how water pressure, backflows, etc work.

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So the gate valve is opened (to control UV flow?) and both UV and non-UV water will go up through the return line? Either one won't overpower the other causing the water to go backwards? Sorry for the questions, I'm still trying to understand how water pressure, backflows, etc work.
In my case yes, the gate valve controlled how much flow would go thru the UV filter. I had no issues of backward flow. I used T fittings to tap into main return line. A flow meter will confirm how much flow is going into the UV filter.

Another safe option could be a separate pump dedicated for UV.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the best set up is to size the U.V. to the flow of the return pump at the rate you want to achieve either algae or protozoa control. Also a mechanical filter before the UV increases the effectiveness due to water clarity. Just the way us old guys did it the back in the day. We were also only turning the tank water over 1 to 4 times an hour with the main pump. We relied on wave pumps for the flow inside the tank not the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back