Need help/suggestions plumbing UV for display

  • Thread starter Thread starter azreef729
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

azreef729

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
185
Reaction score
221
Location
AZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of an osteopsis problem currently and need to get a UV into the display tank to take care of it. The display is 100 gallons, I was wondering if someone could help out with what I need to get to do this. This should
Clear out in a few weeks from what I’ve read so I’m not really wanting to spend $1,000 on a temporary uv set up. Looking for what uv, pump, and any plumbing I would need to set it up.
 
I have a bit of an osteopsis problem currently and need to get a UV into the display tank to take care of it. The display is 100 gallons, I was wondering if someone could help out with what I need to get to do this. This should
Clear out in a few weeks from what I’ve read so I’m not really wanting to spend $1,000 on a temporary uv set up. Looking for what uv, pump, and any plumbing I would need to set it up.
Here’s a funny little device which is effectively a submersible all in one pump/sterilizer, with enough wattage to actually do some heavy lifting in a 100G tank!

https://fishtanksdirect.com/icecap-in-sump-uv-sterilizer-27-watt/
Simply put, it saves you doing a lot of matching pump to plumbing to UV…

Edit: I didn’t see that they sell a 27W, and 40W! The 27W is definitely a better size for this system!
 
Here’s a funny little device which is effectively a submersible all in one pump/sterilizer, with enough wattage to actually do some heavy lifting in a 100G tank!

https://fishtanksdirect.com/icecap-in-sump-uv-sterilizer-27-watt/
Simply put, it saves you doing a lot of matching pump to plumbing to UV…

Edit: I didn’t see that they sell a 27W, and 40W! The 27W is definitely a better size for this system!
I actually have this 27w in my sump. But it is too large for my display.
 
I don’t know if the top where the electrical cord comes out should be submerged. I’m also afraid the pump will suck up the substrate with the way it’s installed,
If I were to install it upright.
 
I don’t know if the top where the electrical cord comes out should be submerged. I’m also afraid the pump will suck up the substrate with the way it’s installed,
If I were to install it upright.
Hmm… well, any display to display UV is going to employ a submersible pump which is inherently at risk of substrate ingestion…

I’ve had my best luck here elevating the pump in the water column; either dangling the pump from tubing, or sticking the pump on a stand!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new