Adding a Marginalis Butterfly

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Thinking about adding a Marginalis Butterfly to our 125. We've tried copperbands before, and while they do great, the slightest amount of bullying from our foxface and orange shoulder tang kills them.

Every time we've tried to add a copperband, those 2 fish have tried to kill them. They tried messing with our yellow long nose, but it held it's own and everyone gets along now.

Will a Marginalis hold up better towards any initial aggression from those 2? It's an expensive gamble lol

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Thinking about adding a Marginalis Butterfly to our 125. We've tried copperbands before, and while they do great, the slightest amount of bullying from our foxface and orange shoulder tang kills them.

Every time we've tried to add a copperband, those 2 fish have tried to kill them. They tried messing with our yellow long nose, but it held it's own and everyone gets along now.

Will a Marginalis hold up better towards any initial aggression from those 2? It's an expensive gamble lol
Pretty sure they're exactly the same as a copperband

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They hold up better however an Acanthurus tang’s aggression will almost always end up killing a Chelmon species IME. When they’re not established to captivity they’re much more delicate but if you get one that is truly established to captive care, they do seem to withstand aggression much better.

Also, then you have the issue that your yellow long nose is likely to not like another butterfly in its territory. This is possibly the other reason your CBBs are dying.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back