Adding a new clownfish

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my clownfish a few months ago so am now left with a singular one, would i be able to get another one ? If I was to get it and it didn’t get along with the other one I wouldn’t be able to rehome it, so would it be worth getting one or not.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do, make sure it is the same type and visibly smaller than your existing one so they existing clown can be dominant. This is your best course of action other than getting a new young pair and re-homing the existing clown.

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do, make sure it is the same type and visibly smaller than your existing one so they existing clown can be dominant. This is your best course of action other than getting a new young pair and re-homing the existing clown.
I think the second option may be better as the clown I have at the moment is only about 0.8inchs so tiny

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where about in the UK are you based? :) There's plenty of good LFS's around and most of them are very helpful taking back fish in exchange for store credit.

It's hard to pair clown fish with one that is already established in the tank. It can go very well but more often than never it goes the other way- and fast!

I'd call in first and if they accept take in your clown for credit towards a nice pair of whichever ones you want! :)

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where about in the UK are you based? :) There's plenty of good LFS's around and most of them are very helpful taking back fish in exchange for store credit.

It's hard to pair clown fish with one that is already established in the tank. It can go very well but more often than never it goes the other way- and fast!

I'd call in first and if they accept take in your clown for credit towards a nice pair of whichever ones you want! :)
Thank you, i live in Somerset

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size it is still a male, I’d add one at least 1/2 inch bigger. I’ve done that before and it worked well.
I went in my LFS the other day and they do have much bigger clowns, I would say at least double to possibly three times as big as this guy, would they be ok ?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will the bigger one already be a female when I purchase it ? Or will they both still be male and then the bigger one changes to female
Ya , more than likely still a female but because of the size difference it will likely be the one to transition to female. I originally purchased 2 same size juvenile clowns that were inseparable for over a year. I got back from a week long vacation ( holiday for you Britts) and the one had beaten the other to near death, it was happening before my eyes. I removed the injured one but it did not make it. It was hard to find a smaller one so I went larger and it has worked well. Here they are in their host, my duncan coral.
BFBEC1EE-2326-48E5-8463-428674C8D022.jpeg

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya , more than likely still a female but because of the size difference it will likely be the one to transition to female. I originally purchased 2 same size juvenile clowns that were inseparable for over a year. I got back from a week long vacation ( holiday for you Britts) and the one had beaten the other to near death, it was happening before my eyes. I removed the injured one but it did not make it. It was hard to find a smaller one so I went larger and it has worked well. Here they are in their host, my duncan coral.
BFBEC1EE-2326-48E5-8463-428674C8D022.jpeg
Got new one today and he is about 2 times as big, they seem to be getting on very well

Attachments

• IMG_6710.jpeg
    IMG_6710.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 13

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They s
Got new one today and he is about 2 times as big, they seem to be getting on very well
They should be good, happy sailing from this point on. I love clowns and couldn’t imagine having a tank without a pair.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back