Adding a Powder Blue Tang

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to get one and add it to my DT. The king of the tank is a pretty aggresive medium size Yellow Tang that will harrass the Powder Blue for sure.

My plan is to re-arrange my rocks and stuff and add a juvenile Emperor Angel at the same time to distract the Yellow Tang.

My questions are: what size to get? will a small Powder Blue get less attention?( it can hide easier for sure)

How much will it help to add mirrors? How many to use in a 6 feet tank? Thank you!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang get aggressive. I added a mirror to both ends of the tank. The mirror distracted the yellow tang. Th new tang quickly discovered the protection the mirror offered. It worked well.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mirror on each end or only on one end.

I find small powder blues are a bit delicate, so a md one may be able to withstand the aggression of the yt better.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days in an isolation/acclimation tank in your DT for the powder blue will get a lot of aggression out of the system of the yellow. I, and many others, have had very good results with this technique. It doesn't guarantee no aggression, but IME, it greatly reduces the aggression when you finally release the new fish.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days in an isolation/acclimation tank in your DT for the powder blue will get a lot of aggression out of the system of the yellow. I, and many others, have had very good results with this technique. It doesn't guarantee no aggression, but IME, it greatly reduces the aggression when you finally release the new fish.

Good idea! But I have to find a suitable clear container that fits into the narrow tank mouth and hang it. What size should I use without stressing the Powder Blue too much?

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 3 gallon critter keeper that I drilled extra holes in for water flow. It’s not ideal size wise, but it served a greater good, and it was only 72 hours. The fish likely dealt with smaller living quarters as part of the collection process. I was able to get it to hang onto my eurobracing so feeding was easy.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes acclimation boxes, tank re-arranging, and mirrors. Honestly, if these are your only tangs or you have few, this could go quite badly. On the other hand, most zebrasoma don’t hold long-term grudges but a lot of damage can be done quickly. I’d shoot for a 3.5-4.5” PBT for best chances. Smaller than that I agree with @eatbreakfast that they’re more fragile.

You’ll also know really quickly if your tank has ich, so if you don’t or haven’t quarantined —be prepared to run everyone fallow for ich/velvet.

Here is an article on tang aggression you may find helpful:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes acclimation boxes, tank re-arranging, and mirrors. Honestly, if these are your only tangs or you have few, this could go quite badly. On the other hand, most zebrasoma don’t hold long-term grudges but a lot of damage can be done quickly. I’d shoot for a 3.5-4.5” PBT for best chances. Smaller than that I agree with @eatbreakfast that they’re more fragile.

You’ll also know really quickly if your tank has ich, so if you don’t or haven’t, be prepared to run everyone fallow for ich/velvet.

Here is an article on tang aggression you may find helpful:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

Yes, very helpful article! I'll get a larger PB and consider adding another tang at the same time.

Thank you everyone!!!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair and be warned that Powder Blues are one of the most prone to ich and the aggression will definitely add to that factor.

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 3 gallon critter keeper that I drilled extra holes in for water flow. It’s not ideal size wise, but it served a greater good, and it was only 72 hours. The fish likely dealt with smaller living quarters as part of the collection process. I was able to get it to hang onto my eurobracing so feeding was easy.
Why are the dimensions of the critter keeper? I have a medium powder brown in QT now and a yellow tang in DT so thinking about trying this. Just don’t want it to be too small a space.

wiselyy73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the yellow tang out from DT. Add both back at the same time when the PBT is ready. Get a same size. Most likely the PBT will take over and will kill the YT. If you just add the PBT will get stress by the YT and get icy then the whole tank might get affect.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the yellow tang out from DT. Add both back at the same time when the PBT is ready. Get a same size. Most likely the PBT will take over and will kill the YT. If you just add the PBT will get stress by the YT and get icy then the whole tank might get affect.

Getting the YT out is close to impossible in a large tank with rocks, etc. My present plan is to use 6-7 cheap "mirror sheets" both inside and outside of the tank. Will also add a "group"
of fish and move rocks around. If I can find a suitable isolation container I'll use it too.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are the dimensions of the critter keeper? I have a medium powder brown in QT now and a yellow tang in DT so thinking about trying this. Just don’t want it to be too small a space.

It's not easy to find a larger "keeper" that fits into a mere 7 inch tank mouth; and it should be much better if it goes "all the way" from top to bottom. I'll most likely try an empty large sturdy plastic bag that can go at least 1/2 deep. If it looks OK I'll use it.

Back