adding a second tang

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow eye kole tang and just added a second tang a powder brown tang. I turned off the lights when I added the brown tang. I was going to do it last night but didn't make it late enough fell esleep. When I turn on the lights should I be worried about aggression towards the brown tang? I currently have them in a 75 gallon while I upgrade to a 125 gallon in a few weeks?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow eye kole tang and just added a second tang a powder brown tang. I turned off the lights when I added the brown tang. I was going to do it last night but didn't make it late enough fell esleep. When I turn on the lights should I be worried about aggression towards the brown tang? I currently have them in a 75 gallon while I upgrade to a 125 gallon in a few weeks?
I would reduce your lighting schedule for a couple days. I did this when adding a second pygmy angel and it really seemed to help with the aggression. Maybe cut the lit hours in half for a day or two? Best of luck, hoping they become good buddies.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally leave the lights off for the rest of the day and then return to normal schedule the following. If I notice continued aggression, I will add a mirror to one wall to keep the aggressor busy for another day or two, while he gets familiar with the new tang’s presence. It’s worked a few times for me in my 120g

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you go up to the 125 gal tank, I would add a 3rd to make sure any aggression isn't one on one. You may see some aggression, but, as long as they aren't trying to kill each other, I would let it play out. They will have to set a pecking order.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you go up to the 125 gal tank, I would add a 3rd to make sure any aggression isn't one on one. You may see some aggression, but, as long as they aren't trying to kill each other, I would let it play out. They will have to set a pecking order.
what other tang do u recommend for a third tang?

lissailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue hippo tang and added a white-tail kole tang in a 75gl. They were swimming together from the start. Ymmv. Good luck!

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what other tang do u recommend for a third tang?
On a 125 gal tank, I would go with a Zebrasoma tang. Depending on your budget, maybe a Purple tang or a Gem tang.

Below is a picture of my Tang Gang minus my Tomini tang. This is in a 225 gal tank.

20210724_102715.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 125 gal tank, I would go with a Zebrasoma tang. Depending on your budget, maybe a Purple tang or a Gem tang.

Below is a picture of my Tang Gang minus my Tomini tang. This is in a 225 gal tank.

20210724_102715.jpg
I might go with a powder blue tang.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might go with a powder blue tang
2 Acanthurus tangs, may not be a good decision. When adding tangs, they need to be in 3's. Whether its 3 tangs, or 3 of the same Genus makes no difference. I have 6 tangs in my tank. 1 Bristltooth, 1 Naso, 1 Acanthurus, and 3 Zebrasoma.
The 2 Acnathurus tangs you are looking to add are among the top when aggression comes to mind. ;)

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Acanthurus tangs, may not be a good decision. When adding tangs, they need to be in 3's. Whether its 3 tangs, or 3 of the same Genus makes no difference. I have 6 tangs in my tank. 1 Bristltooth, 1 Naso, 1 Acanthurus, and 3 Zebrasoma.
The 2 Acnathurus tangs you are looking to add are among the top when aggression comes to mind. ;)

Darn this ruins my recommendation of a Convict for the OP lol...love the look of that fish, especially in a large shoal on the reef...

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn this ruins my recommendation of a Convict for the OP lol...love the look of that fish, especially in a large shoal on the reef...
That may be the exception...LOL!!! I actually love the Convict tang. I may add one to my tank because I feel it is such an underrated tang. The Convict tang is simply a beautiful and underrated tang.

You can always go against the rule of 3rd's when tangs are involved, you just have to understand that their may be consequences. ;)

I will pull the trigger on a Convict tang when @tsmaquatics get them in.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be the exception...LOL!!! I actually love the Convict tang. I may add one to my tank because I feel it is such an underrated tang. The Convict tang is simply a beautiful and underrated tang.

You can always go against the rule of 3rd's when tangs are involved, you just have to understand that their may be consequences. ;)

I will pull the trigger on a Convict tang when @tsmaquatics get them in.
Here is a question for ya... I am a low stocker when it comes to fish, 6 is always my max in a 90. I have had a Yellow Tang 'Deuce' for 18 years....but always want one more Tang. The tank size is on the limits of Tang happiness, and I can't upgrade without a divorce lol....think a Tomini or Kole, would be a risk? Deuce has obviously been tank boss for a long time. Other stock is Ocellaris, three stripe Damsel ( also both 18 yo) , Coral Beauty 5 years, and an Eibli Angel about 8 months. I was nervous adding the Eibli with the CB, but I love that particular fish....my mind says too little space for the Deuce , but my heart pounds for another Tang lol....probably better with a wee one like a Gramma instead lol...I should listen to my brain right?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question for ya... I am a low stocker when it comes to fish, 6 is always my max in a 90. I have had a Yellow Tang 'Deuce' for 18 years....but always want one more Tang. The tank size is on the limits of Tang happiness, and I can't upgrade without a divorce lol....think a Tomini or Kole, would be a risk? Deuce has obviously been tank boss for a long time. Other stock is Ocellaris, three stripe Damsel ( also both 18 yo) , Coral Beauty 5 years, and an Eibli Angel about 8 months. I was nervous adding the Eibli with the CB, but I love that particular fish....my mind says too little space for the Deuce , but my heart pounds for another Tang lol....probably better with a wee one like a Gramma instead lol...I should listen to my brain right?
I would go for no other than a Bristletooth tang. I have a similar problem. Though different species, its the same. I have 4 Blue/Green Chromis that have been together for 2 years, and the pecking order has been set. I want to add 3-4 Blue Atlantic Chromis, NOW, the question I have been asking myself comes to mind, will this upset that pecking order...HMMM!!!

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching my tang and one spot fox face this morning and the yellow eye like tang tries to bully the fox face. Never works out.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try the mirror trick first. I tried to do it today but had two major job interviews that lasted the whole day. Minus an hour lunch.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back