Adding a separate sump to a aio 24 gallon tank

BARNAKEWLZ

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2016
Messages
605
Reaction score
574
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I took the time to try and rig up a another tank as a sump.

First thing is my tank has a bottom drilled drain value In the back of the aio sump/back compartment right where the return pump brings water back into the main display.

My thought is to drain out of the bottom of the third compartment into another tank. Then move the return pump into the new tank and run hosing to the stock return nozzle. In theory it seemed to work if I purchase a stronger pump (it currently cycles 300 gph.vdoes this sound right? Or is it a setup for failure?

I plan to use the added sump to hold live rock only for added filtration and to obviously add more water volume. I do not have the drive to make it a full blow refugium until I understand a little more about the do's and don't and the science behind them.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
 
Its a 1/2" hole. I'm not sure about the hose and tubing sizing. It little things like that that may result in a failed sump
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new