Adding a small hellfire anemone to a Pico with only one fish?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellfire anemone for sale for ~$36...it's about 2.5 inches across and was thinking of adding it to my new pico built with all established live ocean rock. The only fish is a Greissenger Goby and he stays on the sandbed and searches the tunnels inside rocks for pods so i doubt he'd come in contact with it...but is this still a bad idea? There's not much flow from the HOB filter and although i could add a pump with suckers on it, worried that may be too much flow for the 2.5 gallon tank...thoughts?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actinodendron spp. (Fire Anemones) are burrowing anemones, so if the nem you're looking at is a true fire nem and your goby stays on the sand, I'd guess that's a bad match. (I've also heard these need a DSB - see the link below.)

Do you have any pics of the nem though? Because I've heard a lot of places will incorrectly label species from other genera as these, and it's possible a different species may be a better fit.

Also, just as a disclaimer for anyone who may be interested in keeping an Actinodendron sp. or similar, these anemones are dangerously venomous to humans, so - while I'd advise against buying these guys generally - if you do decide to keep one, please handle them with extreme care and proper safety gear.
"A few species possess highly toxic venoms and are hazardous for humans. The Hell’s Fire sea anemone (Actinodendron plumosum) is named for the severe skin ulceration caused by its sting [10,20].
My source:

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actinodendron spp. (Fire Anemones) are burrowing anemones, so if the nem you're looking at is a true fire nem and your goby stays on the sand, I'd guess that's a bad match. (I've also heard these need a DSB - see the link below.)

Do you have any pics of the nem though? Because I've heard a lot of places will incorrectly label species from other genera as these, and it's possible a different species may be a better fit.

Also, just as a disclaimer for anyone who may be interested in keeping an Actinodendron sp. or similar, these anemones are dangerously venomous to humans, so - while I'd advise against buying these guys generally - if you do decide to keep one, please handle them with extreme care and proper safety gear.

Looks like the real deal...that's unfortunate that they stay on the sand bottom...such an amazing price because he's had it so long and can't get rid of it! Screenshot_2023-03-06-07-05-58-346_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the real deal...that's unfortunate that they stay on the sand bottom...such an amazing price because he's had it so long and can't get rid of it! Screenshot_2023-03-06-07-05-58-346_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
They're certainly pretty nems - and they host Bangaii Cardinals too - it's just a pity they've got such a potent sting.

"Over the 15 survey sites, six species of anemone were recorded as hosting Pterapogon kauderni. In order of descending frequency these were: Actinodendron sp., Heteractis crispa, Entacmaea quadricolor, Stichodactyla gigantea, S. haddoni and H. aurora (Table 2). The associated P. kauderni were predominantly recent recruits and small juveniles; however, a few adults were observed close to the anemones, including brooding males."

Source:

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're certainly pretty nems - and they host Bangaii Cardinals too - it's just a pity they've got such a potent sting.

"Over the 15 survey sites, six species of anemone were recorded as hosting Pterapogon kauderni. In order of descending frequency these were: Actinodendron sp., Heteractis crispa, Entacmaea quadricolor, Stichodactyla gigantea, S. haddoni and H. aurora (Table 2). The associated P. kauderni were predominantly recent recruits and small juveniles; however, a few adults were observed close to the anemones, including brooding males."

Source:
I'm more concerned about my prized Greissenger Goby tbh...i can be extra cautious...him not so much...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back