Adding a Sump to a existing tank

Pittsburgh88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of adding a sump to my current established tank. With that being said have overflows become more reliable for the HOB versions? Or do they still rely on siphoning etc? I'd be way to worried about drilling my tank as it's got some $$$ into it.

75 Gallon Mixed reef.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the eshopps. Never a problem four +years later.

I got into an argument with a BRS guy on how bad hobs are and why you should only drill.
He never had an hob overflow.
Good times.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB overflows are fine and in many ways superior to tank mounted boxes.. some of the benefits of HOB’s are super simple to instal, zero chance of breaking tank, adjustable water level, reposition as needed if you change your aquascape and they can be completely removed in minutes for cleaning or maintenance if desired.. IMO don’t get the ones that require pump to maintain syphon the U tube styles are pretty much bulletproof as long as you set them up correctly. Pushing sufficient amount of water through them to prevent air pockets from forming in the U tube and cleaning the prefilter foam periodically are the biggest things, I also use gutter guard in my overflow box to prevent snails from potentially blocking/clogging the U tube inlet. I have used a bunch of them over the years and Im using a eshopps pf series on my new build and I’m impressed with it for the cost.

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem I see the hob is... if for some reason the u tube breaks it’s siphon and the return pump keeps pushing water up from the sump you will had a floody mess in your place.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem I see the hob is... if for some reason the u tube breaks it’s siphon and the return pump keeps pushing water up from the sump you will had a floody mess in your place.
If a drilled tank gets clogged by snail or algae or fish the return pump keeps pushing water too.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This August will be 4 years using an eshopps HOB overflow on my 75g mixed reef with no issues at all. No siphon breaks, no bubbles collecting in the U- tube over time and the siphon starts right back up again when the pump is turned back on after a power outage or WC. I clean the U-tube every 3 months and remove and the overflow twice a year for a good cleaning.

Would never happen in my tank, the return section would run dry way before flooding the tank. If this scenario was ever to happen I have it set so the return pump shuts off along with the ATO so it's not continuing to pump water and I get an alarm.

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This August will be 4 years using an eshopps HOB overflow on my 75g mixed reef with no issues at all. No siphon breaks, no bubbles collecting in the U- tube over time and the siphon starts right back up again when the pump is turned back on after a power outage or WC. I clean the U-tube every 3 months and remove and the overflow twice a year for a good cleaning.

Would never happen in my tank, the return section would run dry way before flooding the tank. If this scenario was ever to happen I have it set so the return pump shuts off along with the ATO so it's not continuing to pump water and I get an alarm.

how did you configure your return pump to shut off in the event this happens ?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back