Adding a viewing pane to stock tank

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So in my bid to look into a FOWLR, I can’t really afford a good sized aquarium (at least not at LFS prices) and I think a plywood tank is outside my realm of capabilities. So I’m thinking of getting a Stock Tank but would like a viewing pane. Obviously none come with that built in (that I’ve found), so I’m wondering is it possible to add one? If so, would it be as simple as cutting, adding the right size glass/acrylic panel and ensuring it’s secured and sealed on both sides or am I likely completely missing whole steps and this won’t work due to the flexibility of the stock tank and risk of blow out.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the tank material, volume, dimensions and size and specifications of the viewing panel. And there are definitely some more steps and calculations involved. None of which I can advise on and none of which anyone else can advise on without some more specifics and details.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So in my bid to look into a FOWLR, I can’t really afford a good sized aquarium (at least not at LFS prices) and I think a plywood tank is outside my realm of capabilities. So I’m thinking of getting a Stock Tank but would like a viewing pane. Obviously none come with that built in (that I’ve found), so I’m wondering is it possible to add one? If so, would it be as simple as cutting, adding the right size glass/acrylic panel and ensuring it’s secured and sealed on both sides or am I likely completely missing whole steps and this won’t work due to the flexibility of the stock tank and risk of blow out.
Petco is having a decent sale on Aqueon at the moment, you'd have to drill it yourself and add an overflow, but you can pick up a 75-gallon tank right now for 124.99, a 40 breeder for 54.99, and an overflow for around $160, and a baffle kit for the 40 breeder for another $130. That's $470 for a 75-gallon "reef ready" aquarium... Which is a steal. If course you could also start with a 40 breeder, and get a 20 long for $24.99 and the baffle kit for it for $100, which is a 40-gallon "reef ready" for $340. There is also an AIO kit for the 40 breeder that is $130 if you don't want to drill or have a sump which would be $185 for a decent starter tank.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craigslist

You can get a 75g used for around $100 if you drive a hard bargain and seller is motivated to get rid of the tank

Just make absolutely sure to see the tank in person with water in it for a leak test

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back