Adding Acros To Tank....Best to Add Multiple Pieces at once?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s stags, austera, torts and some name stuff but I just add what I like in terms of color and pattern based in placement Middle reef. Make bimac anthias photo bomb. He was sourced from Bali. Styio was lil annoyed normal way long pe
IMG_8196.jpeg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s stags, austera, torts and some name stuff but I just add what I like in terms of color and pattern based in placement Middle reef. Make bimac anthias photo bomb. He was sourced from Bali. Styio was lil annoyed normal way long pe
IMG_8196.jpeg
Wow beautiful! I've got 3 nanos actually but only the one has SPS. Well, one of the others has a pretty giant chunk of Porites with Christmas Tree Worms so I guess that's an exception. Other than that it just has some LPS and clowns. My pico has LPS like Mini Scolys and an Acan. I mainly keep them divided like that because of the lighting.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the microbiomes of corals as well as the aura-biomes or microbiomes in the water column are very important. J. E. N. Veron's books on corals shows many speices of various genus, not only Acropora, can have very specific environmental requirements. Wright, et al, shows the immune systems of coral can vary significantly between different genotypes within the same species, so while one genotype may have avery robust immune system another may be very delicate.

Acropora microcladoes or strawberry shortcake, is an excellent example, In the wild 95% of the colonies are found only in association of other acropora colonies.

Another issue is survival can be very dependant on species, frag size, environmental context. There are multiple papers showing poor short term survival as well as even worse long term survival as well as variable survivorship in mixed assemblages. (1) (2) (3) (4)

So if you're having issues with acros and all the parmaetes are within normally accepted ranges then focusing on the species and varieties that have a reputation for being hardy and adding multiple frags at a time seems a good way to eastablish the microbiomes more sensitive species/varieties need.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the microbiomes of corals as well as the aura-biomes or microbiomes in the water column are very important. J. E. N. Veron's books on corals shows many speices of various genus, not only Acropora, can have very specific environmental requirements. Wright, et al, shows the immune systems of coral can vary significantly between different genotypes within the same species, so while one genotype may have avery robust immune system another may be very delicate.

Acropora microcladoes or strawberry shortcake, is an excellent example, In the wild 95% of the colonies are found only in association of other acropora colonies.

Another issue is survival can be very dependant on species, frag size, environmental context. There are multiple papers showing poor short term survival as well as even worse long term survival as well as variable survivorship in mixed assemblages. (1) (2) (3) (4)

So if you're having issues with acros and all the parmaetes are within normally accepted ranges then focusing on the species and varieties that have a reputation for being hardy and adding multiple frags at a time seems a good way to eastablish the microbiomes more sensitive species/varieties need.
Thanks! I thought I recalled you saying something along those lines...it makes a lot of sense and helps explain how on wild reefs anything that causes a decline in sensitive species or even a sensitive genus would lead to a further decline due to a shrink in population size as well as why it's so difficult to reestablish a population of certain genera such as Acropora on wild reefs even if the species is native and conditions have returned to normal after a die off due to a mass bleaching event or other disaster.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is your problem right here. Nano tanks are hard to keep acros in because things can change quick. Especially if the tank isn't mature or still going through the various issues we encounter on newer systems. What are your nutrient levels at? Do you have an auto top off on the tank? If so how much does your salinity swing? Pictures of the tank?
Yes, I agree nanos do present a challenge for the exact reasons you mentioned... everything regarding nutrient levels, age of the tank, equipment, etc. I already listed on the first page...i can post a pic though if you'd like.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All my time keeping acro some
Just don’t thrive for me Some
Do well and other do well and just go south due to an issue or change to stability I had an alk drop w a lowered no3 and I lost some piece to necrosis and had to frag some corals. But they are mending. So lucky I guess.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were the acros wild caught?
Out of the 3 I've tried 1 or 2 we're almost certainly maricultured or wild collected which I know makes things much more difficult but there's not a lot of access to aquacultured SPS here...the Strawberry Shortcake however was well encrusted over the plug already so it was almost certainly in captivity for a while.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my time keeping acro some
Just don’t thrive for me Some
Do well and other do well and just go south due to an issue or change to stability I had an alk drop w a lowered no3 and I lost some piece to necrosis and had to frag some corals. But they are mending. So lucky I guess.
I just made a somewhat expensive investment in a good underwater camera so I probably won't be trying to add too much anytime soon (or at least anything I don't fully expect to thrive). Just thought I'd try to figure this out and see what suggestions people may have for the future.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just made a somewhat expensive investment in a good underwater camera so I probably won't be trying to add too much anytime soon (or at least anything I don't fully expect to thrive). Just thought I'd try to figure this out and see what suggestions people may have for the future.
If I have a mature stable system / chemistry w a healthy biome that provides the metabolic needs of the life, which I read u have a clam and other sps. It may just takes time w the right aquaculture acro. I’ve been through a few. Don’t like losing corals. But over time I found which acro do best in this system the way I run it. Yes each tank is different but there are certain core principals or Methods to keep reef systems which I know helped me get where I am and evolve in the hobby With the ups and downs. Lol. Sry. Just had a cup. Lol

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a mature stable system / chemistry w a healthy biome that provides the metabolic needs of the life, which I read u have a clam and other sps. It may just takes time w the right aquaculture acro. I’ve been through a few. Don’t like losing corals. But over time I found which acro do best in this system the way I run it. Yes each tank is different but there are certain core principals or Methods to keep reef systems which I know helped me get where I am and evolve in the hobby With the ups and downs. Lol. Sry. Just had a cup. Lol
No problem haha! Enjoy your cup of coffee! Yeah I definitely agree with what you're saying...I think at least part of it is likely the sources they come from which are primarily maricultured or wild collected. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool never knowing what the shops are going to get in stock next and each piece really is one of a kind. You can get a BIG milli or even speciosa colony for far below $100 but it's a real gamble how they'll do if they're wild collected Acros or other delicate species. The LPS like Lobos, Scolys, and Porites with Christmas Tree Worms are pretty wild and tend to do fine (really into mini Scolys btw!) It would just be nice to have some aquacultured acros...

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done exactly this with 2 20g's. One I just restarted. I just got a im15g aio im going to setup the same way.
All live rock from my other systems and I have had good success.
I do dose 2 part and trace from day one which follows my other systems.
10% wc once a month.
Old 20g and 10 months later just before I broke it down.

20220126_162914.jpg
20220926_094502.jpg

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done exactly this with 2 20g's. One I just restarted. I just got a im15g aio im going to setup the same way.
All live rock from my other systems and I have had good success.
I do dose 2 part and trace from day one which follows my other systems.
10% wc once a month.
Old 20g and 10 months later just before I broke it down.

20220126_162914.jpg
20220926_094502.jpg
I always used live rock. I’m old school like that

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used live rock. I’m old school like that
YES! Straight from the ocean if possible. That's one of the things I love most about the hobby here. The availability of rock fresh from the Indo Pacific with the most beautiful coralline you've ever seen!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using LEDs you need a par meter, percent intensities don’t matter much

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wild caught or maricultured stuff is tricky, but I imagine for you they are inexpensive. I would not be averse to adding a couple at a time.
I might try adding a couple ~$8-10 pieces again soon...yeah, they're very inexpensive...you can get some amazing Milli, Speciosa, etc. colonies for well under $100 here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back