Adding Blue leds to T5

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 bulb unit and put two Biotek B5 led tubes in. They just go in like T5 lights. So essentially I’m running 3 blue plus, 3 coral plus and 2 actinic led tubes. Saved me from having to drill into the fixture to attach the LEDs like with reefbrites.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 bulb unit and put two Biotek B5 led tubes in. They just go in like T5 lights. So essentially I’m running 3 blue plus, 3 coral plus and 2 actinic led tubes. Saved me from having to drill into the fixture to attach the LEDs like with reefbrites.

He has an ATI fixture, he wouldn't have to drill anything . Reefbrites attach with a bracket using existing screws and screw holes. It goes together like lamb and tuna fish, or maybe like peanut butter and jelly if you're more comfortable with that analogy .

I've also been curious about those LED T5s. Got any pics? How's the shimmer? Pop?

aquaterra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dimmable 8x54W that I recently added reefbrite tech blues on both sides. I run it +1 hours on a ramp around my t5 schedule. I previously had a kessil ap700 doing that. I lost the shimmer that the kessil had (it was insane!) but my sps had better polyp extension from the consistent spread of the reefbrite led lights. I have a dual channel dimmer hooked up to my apex to control intensity over time. During the day when all 8 bulbs are on there is little change because i run 2 C+ that wash out the blues but its a nice daylight blend.

ba643e5253c559b18699a8448cf0d2de.jpg

Edit: added picture.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dimmable 8x54W that I recently added reefbrite tech blues on both sides. I run it +1 hours on a ramp around my t5 schedule. I previously had a kessil ap700 doing that. I lost the shimmer that the kessil had (it was insane!) but my sps had better polyp extension from the consistent spread of the reefbrite led lights. I have a dual channel dimmer hooked up to my apex to control intensity over time. During the day when all 8 bulbs are on there is little change because i run 2 C+ that wash out the blues but its a nice daylight blend.

ba643e5253c559b18699a8448cf0d2de.jpg

Edit: added picture.

Mouth agape..oh lord...dear Barbara

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CD0263E0-F124-41E1-A594-DC3860FB0556.jpeg
He has an ATI fixture, he wouldn't have to drill anything . Reefbrites attach with a bracket using existing screws and screw holes. It goes together like lamb and tuna fish, or maybe like peanut butter and jelly if you're more comfortable with that analogy .

I've also been curious about those LED T5s. Got any pics? How's the shimmer? Pop?

Here’s the most recent pic I have. I have a tek 8 bulb, not a Sunpower. The tek has two switches for 4 and 4 bulbs so unlike the sunpower I can’t run the LEDs just on their own unless I had 4 of them. So the pop is good, I’m sure it would be better with only LEDs but mine turn on with 2 blue plus bulbs as well. Still has decent pop, my Walt Disney looks super nice, but I’d rather have the 2 bulb and 6 bulb setup of the ATI fixtures. Shimmer is decent as well. Maybe one day I’ll splurge for reefbrites but for now the B5s will do!

OP
OP
Broly_PT

Broly_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI

Do you have the ideia of the PAR that that leds make? Or the total PAR whit the 2 tubes?

regards

upload_2017-10-20_19-23-43.png

Last edited:

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CD0263E0-F124-41E1-A594-DC3860FB0556.jpeg

Here’s the most recent pic I have. I have a tek 8 bulb, not a Sunpower. The tek has two switches for 4 and 4 bulbs so unlike the sunpower I can’t run the LEDs just on their own unless I had 4 of them. So the pop is good, I’m sure it would be better with only LEDs but mine turn on with 2 blue plus bulbs as well. Still has decent pop, my Walt Disney looks super nice, but I’d rather have the 2 bulb and 6 bulb setup of the ATI fixtures. Shimmer is decent as well. Maybe one day I’ll splurge for reefbrites but for now the B5s will do!

Tank looks great Chac!! :)

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI

Do you have the ideia of the PAR that that leds make? Or the total PAR whit the 2 tubes?

regards

upload_2017-10-20_19-23-43.png

I don’t I apologize. I’ve never measured PAR. Lights are about 8-10” off the water line. I may just be lazy but so far I’ve had decent success never knowing my PAR ranges, just starting coral off low and moving up over time. Probably luck lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back