Adding Blue leds to T5

Broly_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

At the moment I own an ATI 8x80w, that I like a lot and does not give me problems of light or PAR.

However I like to add a blue or blue royal leds to give a more fluorescent look to the corals.

I do not need them to have too much power, only to give that aspect more fluorescent to the aquarium.

I bought some strips of led in Chinese but with the T5 ON, the strips dont notice that they are On too, lol :)

Does anyone know of a some cheap system that can add and achieve the effect I want?

greetings

devilhunt1231

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think that you are going to need a fair few Royal blue leds to get that fluorescence with a 10 x 80w T5 unit, are you any good at diy with leds as reasonable power leds will require heatsinks or are you limited to strips as there's a few ways get the results you want.
Gary

OP
OP
Broly_PT

Broly_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm not a Diy master but i im reasonable at the diy.

What you suggest?

regards

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5 is doing its job well, it will be hard to notice much through it. A Kessil might.

OP
OP
Broly_PT

Broly_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that my tank have 66 by 39 inch so i will need multiple kessil, and the kessil are not cheap.

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefbrite xho attached to my 8x80 and it gets it done but not cheap.The 8 lights still drown out a lot of the effect. You could try the led E5 retrofit bulbs... by Euroaquatics I think. Did not try them myself though but they were recommended by my LFS.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the reefbrite. The euro aquatics will look like the T5 bulb in the fixture and I wouldn't give up a quality T5 for euroaquatics bulb ever.

OP
OP
Broly_PT

Broly_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reefbrites are not cheap, i will need to 2 strips, one front and the other to the back, maybe the 48 size? 220 dollars for just getting the more fluorescent look.....

no more cheap options?

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reefbrite tech leds on my 8x54w and I supplement with them. They run for 3 hours in the am and 3 hours at night the run only 1 hour with the T5s. Also I should add it is the dimmable Sunpower.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is your purpose of the led, if for moon light then you can run them before and after the t5. Or you can run them longer cycle than the t5 for the dawn dust effects. If you want to run the led to make your coral pop then best to enjoy it after the t5 goes out. T5 will washed out any supplemented led. If you like blue look in your tank then run more blue plus bulbs.
The reefbrite lumi lite would be your best for moon light for the quality and price.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words, im no expert and sure there are many out there can chime in.

He's being modest of course. Bacons tank
494d106fdfa0e167d1156acabe73bcba.jpg
3c162db433f692aadd216e5d4c1b1095.jpg

You're one of the top man, own it! Cheers!

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same ATI unit over my display. Not cheap at all, but I added 2 reefbrite XHO strips and it makes a big difference. I really think my corals have benefitted from it as well. You definitely get what you pay for.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same ATI unit over my display. Not cheap at all, but I added 2 reefbrite XHO strips and it makes a big difference. I really think my corals have benefitted from it as well. You definitely get what you pay for.

Question for you guys, are your reefbrite strips 50/50 or just blue?

On my ATI Sunpower 8x54 I run 6 blue plus and 2 actinic and my reefbrite is a tech strip and it's all blue.

OP
OP
Broly_PT

Broly_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all

What is your purpose of the led, if for moon light then you can run them before and after the t5. Or you can run them longer cycle than the t5 for the dawn dust effects. If you want to run the led to make your coral pop then best to enjoy it after the t5 goes out. T5 will washed out any supplemented led. If you like blue look in your tank then run more blue plus bulbs.
The reefbrite lumi lite would be your best for moon light for the quality and price.

My ideia is to run the LED at the same time of the T5.

At the moment i have 5 blue bulbs in my 8 fixture; for what you are saying the only to see the shimmer and the fluorescent of the corals, is maybe a hybrid option, LED's and 2 or 4x T5, right?

regards

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want shimmer, only kessil and MH give good shimmers. You can barely noticed the shimmer on other led and the T5 will mostlikely washed out the shimmer. If you want the glow look then yes, run primary led and supplement with t5. A lot of nice. Looking tank under led with t5 supplements, its all base on personal preference of what you want. Most people usually run in the blue windex color over thier system for that pop.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back