Adding clownfish to clownfish

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown question: My first two inhabitants were a pair of true percula clownfish from Liveaquaria which have done great, very peaceful and get along fine with my other fish. The only downside is that they mainly stay at the top of the tank, rarely venturing down more than halfway to the bottom of the tank. I would like some which hang out down among the rock and corals. Wondering about adding a pair of ocellaris clowns if that would not cause trouble. Am I asking for warfare and chaos introducing a second pair? I only have a 55g tank. Any and all comments would be welcome.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd pair will just end up being killed/injured. You’re stuck with that pair in the tank unless you replace them completely

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No guarantee the new pair will hang out down among the rock and corals. Would not add the new pair. Very very slim chance that ends well.

What other fish do you have? Sometimes adding other fish can cause changes in behavior. Had a clown pair that became much more active after I added a yellow coris wrasse for example who would hang around the clownfish causing them to start exploring other areas of the tank. Still clownfish tend to stick close to an area they like.

If you want more than the two clowns, rehome the existing pair and add 3 or 5 juveniles at the same time from the same tank.

OP
OP
Tim McLellan

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, kind of what I figured. I will not try adding new ones, just keep things the way they are, and live with a peaceful tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back